Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier\'s belt
avete omnes

this are the firsts plate that i did of the erculaneum soldier's belt,it is in full silver,in a few of days all the plates will be ready.

valete
PierPaolo siercovich
can you post a more close up picture. They look pretty nice. Well done.
ALA I BATAVORUM
ave

in a few of days I will put here more photo,I have to polish the silver that after cast is very dirty
PierPaolo siercovich
avete omnes

some more photo
PierPaolo siercovich
Very nice, well done. Are you also going to make the gladius scabbard decorations?
ALA I BATAVORUM
if you mean about the gladius scabbard decoration of the gladius of thesoldier of ercolano I would like to make this decoration only that the scabbard is so rusty that is impossible to hundestand what kind the decoration is.If somebody have some information about this scabbard I would like to have.
PierPaolo siercovich
the best pictures of that I've seen where in the Ancient Warfare article on that soldier.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice work Pierpaolo. Will you be wearing it in Rome in April?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
PierPaolo,

Please check your PM.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:this are the firsts plate that i did of the erculaneum soldier's belt,it is in full silver,
Very nice work, but you realize that the belt plates from Herculaneum are not full silver, but copper alloy with either silver leaf or silver plate. I've seen the originals and they are green.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
I spoke to the museum curator in Naples who was holding them in her hand (the belt plates with the frogs) while I was on the phone talking to her and she told me that they were made of a silver laminate that had been punched out. I am sure silver laminate means thin silver sheet.

So they were entirely of silver. Then if they were wrapped around a copper alloy plate for support is another story. As a matter of fact, the curator told me that there was no evidence from what she could see that there was any backing.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
avete omnes

first of start to make this belt i was in the museum of naples for look the original,and I had the permission to have in my hand.this plates are in full silver,the strange green color in some part depend from the particolar situation of the vulcan erution.There is a very similar belt in copper whit covered whit a sheet of silver that is in the villa giulia museum (etruscan museum )in Rome,is possible do confusion between this two belts.the second one is of the III century a.d
PierPaolo siercovich
Quote:the strange green color in some part depend from the particolar situation of the vulcan erution.
Can silver turn green? The green that I saw sure looked like copper alloy to me and I read somewhere that that was the case.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Quote:
Quote:the strange green color in some part depend from the particolar situation of the vulcan erution.
Can silver turn green? The green that I saw sure looked like copper alloy to me and I read somewhere that that was the case.

It depends on the amount of copper that is in the silver alloy and the burial conditions.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
A while ago, Christian K. on this forum sent me a document on the complete writeup of this belt. The article said that they are silver laminate which is what the curator said. Also a while back on this forum, Cesar posted pictures of the frog with the belt plates. There is no green on those.

So I have to say based on all three pieces of evidence that the belt is silver or silver laminate. However, it is possible there may be some confusion since there was a discussion on RAT some time ago where two belts from two places were being confused: Pompei and Ercolano.

The belt I am referring to is not the belt on the Ercolano soldier. It is the other belt which is from Pompei and VERY well preserved

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,126 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD. Gaius Julius Caesar 134 34,019 07-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  Herculaneum Soldiers Money Belt? marsvigilia 1 1,525 07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius