Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus with narrow apron straps
You know you look awesome as an optio, Jef? Lovely balteus! Hoping to see it closer...
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:You know you look awesome as an optio, Jef? Lovely balteus! Hoping to see it closer...

Thanks!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:1zoo6dhp Wrote:Salvete,What would have been the function of this plate? Would it have been to keep the straps neatly hanging down?
Jef, I'm not particularly convinced it's metal. I have a theory that it may be an in-built leather pouch for valuables. I remember a couple that seem to have stitching, rather than any of the expected patterns for belt plates, across the face, hence my theory.

Well there's Annaius Daverzus and an 'unknown miles' that have just a perimeter, but it's just incised with no indication of stitching. But then these 'whatevers' are usually only the same width as the belts themselves, so on the order of 3cm- that's awfully narrow for getting into let alone carrying much. Most sestertii are just that size or even larger. Plus a number of grave stelae, such as that of Publius Flavoleius Cordus and Gaius Largennius both have the decorated 'whatever' and a sort of square object above the belts that does beg the question of being a waist purse or wallet of sorts. One other stone has this object, and being all regular soldiers, it's hard to think it might be a writing tablet or something- a purse/wallet is more reasonable a thing for just anyone to have.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Matt, one of the things that makes me lean towards it being a wallet is when the belt is closed tight, that would act as a securing mechanism in itself. Even if it was a metal plate on the facing, that would also add more security, which reflects the arm purse's contents only being accessible when the thing is removed from the arm. Perhaps the incised edges could be stitching for the plate onto leather, like we see on armour pieces like greaves and pectorals? Who knows, but I think it's worthy of a test piece of functional bling.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Balteus Apron help, please Andy B 12 2,267 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Andy B
  Actual Balteus Buckle and Apron Terminus Construction Matt Lukes 25 7,423 02-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Latinitas
  The Spacing Between Balteus Apron Straps? Gaius Colletti 3 1,629 10-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: 66kbm