Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus with narrow apron straps
Salvete,

I'm constructing a balteus with narrow beltplates and and apron with 8 narrow straps. Most depictions of this kind of balteus on gravestones have the straps starting from under the belt. Most of these have a rectangular plates that seems to connect the apron straps.

What would have been the function of this plate? Would it have been to keep the straps neatly hanging down?

How can you make sure such narrow apron straps hang down neatly and don't look like a mess?

Also, would the rectangular plate have had rivets running through it and the underlying apron straps?

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hello,

I have made one of that kind of belts for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... C03971.jpg

I have cut one rectangle of leather, atach the rectangular plate and then cut the part not covered into the 8 straps. Of course you can make 8 strips and rivet it, why not?

The rectangle is suspended to the belt by meanig of two little straps of leather each one with a buckle. So, if you wants, you can take off the "apron set".

I don't have the belt here, so when i'll have it i will made some pictures...
Salve Frater

Quote:I'm constructing a balteus with narrow beltplates and and apron with 8 narrow straps. Most depictions of this kind of balteus on gravestones have the straps starting from under the belt. Most of these have a rectangular plates that seems to connect the apron straps.

I must agree with you, this style of belt is most apealing

Quote:What would have been the function of this plate? Would it have been to keep the straps neatly hanging down?

Perhaps, although I have narrow straps on mine and they come over the top if you know what I mean. No problem in keeping straight.

Quote:How can you make sure such narrow apron straps hang down neatly and don't look like a mess?

Good question. From my experience, the narrower the apron strap the greater the flexibility and hence the tendency to get tangled. I think the answer lies in the choice of leather. I use a .8mm veg tanned strap which is reasonably stiff, but use dubbing rather than neatsfoot. It is supple but not overly so. I have no problem using oil for aprons of up to 6 straps, but I find dubbing works best after this.

Quote:Also, would the rectangular plate have had rivets running through it and the underlying apron straps?

Possibly, but who knows? It might add to the overall rigidity of the apron strap though.

Hope this helps.

Vale[/quote]
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Thanks for the input fratres!

@Cesar: I'd love to see more pictures of your belt.

@Martin: thanks for the tips. What is dubbing? I've never heard this word before :oops:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Salve Frater

Dubbing is a wax based leather preserver and sofener. Try your local tack (Horsey) shop. If you can't get it, just let me know and I'll either send you over a tin or give you manufacturers name and addresses.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Ave, Jef! I don't have the plate-over-apron style, but I did make my cingulum with narrow straps. They're 16mm (5/8")wide, 1mm thick leather (3 oz.) about 30 cm long. They come over the belt; I tried the under method and it seemed to outline hidden weaponry the public didn't need to see :oops: , at least in a tunic :lol: . The terminals are reasonably heavy, and as wide as the straps. They don't get tangled at all that way. I don't know about wider ones but thinner leather with substantial ends works well for me.

Thing I found is that if you just dump your belt somewhere at the end of a long tiring day, especially if there's moisture in the air, then your straps end up crooked. I normally roll up the apron around the belt before putting it up and they stay straight when I put it on next. The two times I didn't I had to wet the leather and roll 'em up.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:Salvete,What would have been the function of this plate? Would it have been to keep the straps neatly hanging down?
Jef, I'm not particularly convinced it's metal. I have a theory that it may be an in-built leather pouch for valuables. I remember a couple that seem to have stitching, rather than any of the expected patterns for belt plates, across the face, hence my theory.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
So you're saying the Roman's invented the sporran.... Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well - think about it. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks for the valuable input!

Quote:
Marcus Mummius:1k1d64xf Wrote:Salvete,What would have been the function of this plate? Would it have been to keep the straps neatly hanging down?
Jef, I'm not particularly convinced it's metal. I have a theory that it may be an in-built leather pouch for valuables. I remember a couple that seem to have stitching, rather than any of the expected patterns for belt plates, across the face, hence my theory.

That's interesting, Jim. Could you show an example of one that seems to have stiching? I wonder how such a pouch could be constructed...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Well - think about it. :wink:

Despite my scottish ancestry, it's not me you would need to convince! :lol: :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There's a very nice example from Mainz... I can't see it being a pocket for valuables though (?) for a start it wouldn't hold much would it? Not even as much as an arm purse.

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

Barry (Sulla Felix) made a similar reconstruction of a Claudian belt using a brass plate.. plus strap stiffeners (Colchester find)
[Image: belt1.jpg]
Past week-end we have took part in a event at Blanes (near Barcelona), and a friend took that picture of the belt. You can see the little leather straps that suspends the belt aprons. Usually i pass that straps between the plate and the leather, but in that event i have to put the belt quickly, and so the straps are over the plates. In that way you can put off/in the apron set.

[Image: cingulum-1.jpg]
Quote:There's a very nice example from Mainz... I can't see it being a pocket for valuables though (?) for a start it wouldn't hold much would it? Not even as much as an arm purse.
I think it'd hold as much as an arm purse, especially coins.

You pays your money and you takes your choc ice, but some of the same gravestones show the wax tablet protruding from the same part of the belt IIRC. I think it's a utilitarian feature at least.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Old thread but just wanted to say that some months ago I made a balteus with narrow apron straps to match the waist belt I use to suspend my gladius Smile

Here's a picture of me wearing the two belts crossed. I don't have a better picture of the belts yet :oops:

[Image: optiomaastricht.jpg]
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Balteus Apron help, please Andy B 12 2,285 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Andy B
  Actual Balteus Buckle and Apron Terminus Construction Matt Lukes 25 7,450 02-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Latinitas
  The Spacing Between Balteus Apron Straps? Gaius Colletti 3 1,641 10-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: 66kbm