Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tents, to be linen or not to be linen.
Well, one thing is sure in warm climates about animal hides: ticks and other insects like them fairly well. Plenty of neighbors in the tent.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Saw this
[Image: 1-Roman-Tabernaculum-from-column-of-Traj...torium.jpg]
The caption is Fig. 1. - 1. Roman Tabernaculum, from column of Trajan. 2. Tentorium, from column of Antonine.
The commentary also says "The Roman tabernaculum resembled the house tent, and the tentorium the wedge tent of the present day." (From "The American Cyclopaedia", by George Ripley And Charles A. Dana.)

I think its referring to the Column of Marcus Aurelius? But this is a completely new image of a Roman tent for me- can anyone help?

I think the source may be from this engraving done by Bartoli, Pietro Santi, 1635-1700. Perhaps someone can help post the image?

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigit...&pos=2&e=w

This is the only picture of a tent from this column that I have (really poor quality- sorry) - from The Column of Marcus Aurelius by Ian Ferris
[Image: tentmarcusaureliuscolumn.jpg]

Does anyone have a better picture from the column itself?

The distinction between a hut/ house shape tabernaculum and a stretched tentoria makes etymological sense. Perhaps this is what the two words meant- tabernaculum the classic early Roman shape also shown in Later times, with tentoria being the stretched wedge or ridge tents as shown in later Roman and Saxon illustrations?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil paint on linen Dan D'Silva 5 705 01-18-2021, 06:11 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Roman linen QRusticus 3 1,376 04-20-2014, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  dyeing linen John M McDermott 102 18,781 12-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Last Post: richsc