Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standing the heat with segmentata
We in Leg III had an event up in Maine (US) very near the coast about 2 years ago, it was the hottest day on record that summer, hitting the high 90's, with 900% humidity.

We were fairly "comfortable", rather, we were able to tollerate the sweltering heat in our armor and helmets for part of the day.

We've also worn the armor in the blazing heat of Maryland at Roman Days in the first weekend of June, where it can easily get to the 90's really quick.

We recently had an event in Vermont, and believe it or not, even that far north it was still in the mid 90's at one point.

We've discovered that wearing the armor, including seggie armor, isn't much of a problem as long as you are wearing it. Never leave the armor, helmet and shields out in the sun if you can help it, as THEN it will be too hot, scorching hot, to handle. You could probably use your cloak or a spare blanket to cover the armor if you were not wearing it and could not otheriwse keep it out of the sun...Shields proved to be trickier, as we can stack the shields overlapping ontop of the other to cover the boss, but the last shield still gets the sun.

As long as you're wearing it, the armor (segmentata) only gets as hot as your body temperature, and as Magnus has said, the shiny surface seems to help reflect off much of the heat and glare.

And as long as you're not doing heavy work, and keep hydrated, one should be in pretty ok shape. Just soaked at the end of the day :roll:
Although the helmets can be a problem, if you have no means to get ventillation up to the top of your head, you will be pouring sweat. So when we don't *need* to be wearing helmets, we opt for the ubiquitos Straw Sun Hats! (TM Leg III Cyr) 8)

Also, the tunic helps greatly in ventillation and comfort.

With seggie, your subarmalis may be "lighter" or "thinner" than one needed for hammata/maille. Just because the maille is "full of holes" doesn't mean the nice cool air can get through the layers of padding, so both armors will be "hot and stuffy" in the heat.

You kinda-sorta get used to the heat. I don't think it's too far off from later period reenacting with 90-100% covering wool uniforms in the blazing heat.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:We recently had an event in Vermont, and believe it or not, even that far north it was still in the mid 90's at one point.

Believe it or not, it actually gets up to 40degC in certain places , even further north than that! :lol:

Quote:With seggie, your subarmalis may be "lighter" or "thinner" than one needed for hammata/maille. Just because the maille is "full of holes" doesn't mean the nice cool air can get through the layers of padding, so both armors will be "hot and stuffy" in the heat.

OK, well, I personally found it better, not that you won't sweat the same!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think that Magnus /Matt just might be getting close to why we find so many troopers wearing cloth garments over the top of their armour on various monuments. This most certainly would help to stop the sun from getting directly onto the armour and so help to keep down the temperature, could this indeed be the reason why we find so many soldiers dressed in this fashion.
Brian Stobbs
We have been in armour in 35-36 temperature for the whole day many times in direct son. while the outside of the armour was very hot to the touch inside it was not as bad. we would be drinking alot of water eating fruits. we have both seg and hamata. I think the shiny metal reflects the heat the linen subarmalis insulate the body from the remaining heat and the sweat in the subarmalis is a cooling effect. those in the USA Desert of New Mexico and Arizona I am sure deal with this more often and much hotter. Also since the world has been heating up since the last ice age ended ( before the Roman Times ) it may have been somewhat cooler but i do not think by much. I am curious how operations and living conditions in desert was for roman military
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:I think that Magnus /Matt just might be getting close to why we find so many troopers wearing cloth garments over the top of their armour on various monuments. This most certainly would help to stop the sun from getting directly onto the armour and so help to keep down the temperature, could this indeed be the reason why we find so many soldiers dressed in this fashion.

The Romans acquired local clothing to combat the cold in the western provinces, I would think they did the same in the east. I would imagine after the first bout of sunburn the legionaries looked around and said "Maybe we should wear what they (Jews, Arabs, Syrians etc.) are wearing?"
Michael Paglia
-- we find so many troopers wearing cloth garments over the top of their armour on various monuments. --

the only cloth garments that come to mind from tombstone are paenula type garments. this would be for cold weather. mostly though I find garment over tunics. Are there any tombstone showing this garment over armour in desert regions. Also It does tend to get rather cool in the desert at times and can one assume that the image is how they actually appear or how they wished themself to appear.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
I have a question for the guys who've worn a segmentata in the hot sun. How's the sun glare off of the armor? Does it hurt the eyes? Also I'd imagine the seg might cook your face a bit like a sun tanner uses tin foil.

When this conversation started I thought of the medieval Europeans in the Holy Land and their adoption of local attire to beat the sun.

The logistics involved to supply the legion(s) with water must have been enormous and complicated. I would just like to see how they managed it.
Michael Paglia
Casmin/Michael -
our one guy was wearing seg and he did get a very tan face. he never complained about th e heat itself but alot of glare no son glasses and his head did get a little warm in th ehelm, alot of sweating. from what i remember his seg did not feel hoter than my mail however this may be important I dont know
1. his seg was not very tight like some i have see , so there was good air flow he said.
2. there was a small brees
3. He was wearing wool tunic
4. he works ( his normal job ) outside

I am not sure if its a combination of all these but that is the evidence. at one point we did get a headache from the son cooking our head in the helm. we took off the helm at that point and it was very cooling and the headache was going away fairly quick. I would also imagine that you would get used to or you can cheat 8) 8) and check out this links someone sent me and stick them in your subarmalis.

http://www.stacoolvest.com/thermopaks.php

http://store.coolvest.com/merchant2/mer ... _Code=ACCE

hope this helps.
Thanks Octavianus!
Michael Paglia
I agree...the sun can really hurt the eyes when reflecting off the seggie...not so much your own, but certainly the guy's next to you!

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last Legion Standing Spurius Papirius Cursor 35 7,854 02-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Spurius Papirius Cursor
  Byzantine standing. Anonymous 20 3,537 09-22-2002, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Anonymous