Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reenacting\'s bloody civil war
Wear roman soldiers leather helmet in hot countries?
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Byron,

Heres a thread on helmets and eyes http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=10577
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Yes, I considered painting eyes, Argo-like, on my Intercisa. But I thought: period paints are going to be continually flaking off the metal, so I don't see it being likely. Also, that paint will trap moisture, rain, dew, etc and rust underneath the paint where I can't clean it. So I ruled against it.

Mind you, we paint our shield umbos to match the Notitia Dignitatum, which I hate doing, for the very same reasons. I much rather keep it pristine metal.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Guys, no discussions here, just list the stuff we (violently) disagree about! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sorry, that was a topic of contention, not a question.....what is the evidence.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Sorry, that was a topic of contention, not a question.....what is the evidence.
Proving the original question's validity! Well done!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here's one....what was the Greek Hoplite's Tube-and-Yoke corselet made from?

And another...what was the armament of the Hypaspists/Argyraspides after Alexander's death?

and another....definition of "Peltast" in Hellenistic times?

...and another, can we reconcile the legionaries shown on Trajan's column with the Adamklissi monument ? ( extent of legionaries wearing segs, mail and scale)

....Roman shield colours?

Offensive equipment of the Roman Army after Hadrian.... spear or throwing weapon?

Nature of Hoplite combat....extent of 'Othismos'/shoving ?

Roman 'changing over' of lines in combat?

....many more !!! Confusedhock: 8)
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:...and another, can we reconcile the legionaries shown on Trajan's column with the Adamklissi monument ? ( extent of legionaries wearing segs, mail and scale)

I know what I'd prefer to wear up against a falx-wielding nutcase!

Give me long mail or scale over a subarmalis with shoulder and skirt pteruges any day instead of a segmented armour that stops at the waist exposing everything below! :wink:
Quote:Give me long mail or scale over a subarmalis with shoulder and skirt pteruges any day instead of a segmented armour that stops at the waist exposing everything below! :wink:
Oi...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/ ... _small.jpg
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I know Jim,

but I'd still prefer the added layer of protection on the upper thighs given by mail or scale as depicted on the Tropeum!
Quote:I know Jim,

but I'd still prefer the added layer of protection on the upper thighs given by mail or scale as depicted on the Tropeum!
Not I. Solid plate, please. Any plonker sticking his thigh in front of his scutum deserves a crutch.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I wonder if the falx had the same cutting ability as the medieval longswords?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Impedimenta; Crucifix ot T shape?

Pila throw; from the grasped shaft or forked fingers behind the tang block?

Incidentally the falx and the sica are both excellent at armour piercing. We've got several bosses which now look more like colanders Confusedhock:
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Falx discussion removed into a new thread.

Guys, last warning - no discussion in this thread - start a new one if you want to answer the rethorical questions here!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Aux oval shields, dished or flat boards?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin