RomanArmyTalk
Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war (/showthread.php?tid=11833)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - M. Demetrius - 02-19-2008

Marching in step (or not), military tunic color, helmet lining design/material, subarmalis material, those are some of the big arguing points that our hobby lines up to battle over. What have I left out?

I'm compiling a list of topics we can't prove, but fight over anyhow, just for fun.

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - P. Clodius Secundus - 02-19-2008

Among the Ballistriarii there's the ever-popular inswinger vs. outswinger debate. That one's almost guaranteed to start trouble :lol: If that fails there's always the archers/slingers rivalry.

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Nerva - 02-19-2008

Roman 'invasion' of ireland...

Thinking about it David, I think 'what we can prove' would be a substantially shorter list...

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Peroni - 02-19-2008

Auxiliaries in segmentata...

Auxiliaries with Pila, curved straight sided scuta...Auxiliaries wearing something other than Coolus etc...

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Caballo - 02-19-2008

"Auxiliaries wearing something other than Coolus etc..." Now that we can prove- Gallics etc found in auxillary graves IIRC

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-19-2008

Same with seg's I thought?

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Magnus - 02-19-2008

Scutum colour...not really argued over but it's popped up in conversations about tunic colour.

Oh, and don't forget Latin Commands...

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Ceannt - 02-19-2008

Why the first cohort had double the number of men than the rest of the legion :?:

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Tarbicus - 02-19-2008

Which is better - seg or mail?

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - arklore70 - 02-19-2008

How about Leather Armor, and pay rates for auxilia.

v/r
Mike

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Marcus Mummius - 02-19-2008

leather vs metal musculata

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - M. Demetrius - 02-19-2008

All good stuff, guys.

There's an argument on another board about whether centurions carried scuta, and if the lack of them accounts for the high casualty rate of the centurions.

Re: Reenacting\'s bloody civil war - Tarbicus - 02-20-2008

Quote:There's an argument on another board about whether centurions carried scuta, and if the lack of them accounts for the high casualty rate of the centurions.
I'd assume they carried exactly the same shield as their men - where do we get this notion that they carried a different type? But I was guilty of thinking they didn't carry pila until Ross Cowan corrected me on that one.