Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet lining
Not just pottery surely - what about coins (assuming one is lucky enough to find them)? Pottery typology seems to be very well developed in Roman Archaeology, but it can only assist in determining the approximate date before or after an artefact (TPQ or TAQ) was lost or placed in the ground. The "dating" given by Archaeologists invariably gives a range between which something in the archaeological record "occured".
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I have adopted what I believe to be a historically correct approach to 'helmet liners'......namely, as per historical precedent, the cheekpieces are lined with felt ( warm/cool, absorbs sweat, comfortable) but have eschewed helmet liners for a padded cap ( which gives much better protection than a liner, is more comfortable, allows the helmet to be 'tailored' to the individuals head, allows use of a 'fitted' helmet by several people, allows the helmet to be cleaned more easily, allows the "lining" to be washed etc).

The evidence for this combination runs from classic Greek pottery through to the writings of Ammianus.....now I don't say that this method was universal...doubtless there were other ways.....but this method was certainly popular for all those ages... Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet lining for late roman helmets Virilis 11 4,494 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Helmet Lining emj1s 46 8,490 03-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Suggestions on Helmet Lining? Innis 21 6,137 09-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus