Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet lining
I know this topic has cropped up before - probably several times.
I didn't subscribe to the idea of stuffing a helmet with loose rags from the people who built the Pantheon. To my mind, it would be ready to wear at a moments notice.
With time on my hands today, I thought I'd have a go, being willing to rip it all out again if it didn't work.
I lined the helmet with felt in a custom fashion to best fill the gaps, whilst leaving it thin front and rear, where you tend to run out of head space! How you guys with larger heads manage is beyond me with some of these helms.
Felt was used on the cheek guards too, then the whole covered with leather. I used skin side out for comfort.
It seems to have worked surprisingly well, although I know that they can come unstuck with wear. I used PVA glue.
Think I'd do this again, but next time using better quality veg tanned leather and stitching rather than gluing the seams.

As always, I'm interested in other ideas / comments
Peritas Renius Curno
(Andy Loring)

Vis Unita Fortior
Looks fine! The main thing is comfort, of course. I'd never thought of continuing the covering from the bowl down to the cheekpiece, covering the hinges like that. You'll either lose some flexibility or have some puckering, but again, as long as it's comfortable on you, go for it.

I make my linings out of a couple layers of heavy wool, with a layer of linen next to me. That probably does better with sweat than leather. And I pad the cheekpieces separately, and never had a problem with the hinge being exposed. But I tend to be a little insensitive...

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/helmint.jpg

Let us know how it works!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
An intact lining has been found inside a helmet - felt and fur.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Mmm. the Vindonissa Gallic F eh Jim?
Yup. Should be more public knowledge.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, indeed... Why it isn't? :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Come to think of it, I'm fairly sure it's been discussed and mentioned a few times in the past, but never the specific helmet.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
nope, just vauge 'liner found in helmet....' kind of phrases. mentioned it had fur in it tho' once.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron/Aitor.. email sent :wink:
Thank you.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, as to the felt/fur liner, are there any pictures available? Naturally, there's not that many ways it could be put together, given the shape it has to fit into, but photos wouldn't hurt. I need a new liner for my Coolus, so might as well start there, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
send me a PM with an email address David
E-mail received. Many thanks, Adrian! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Sorry to bug you again, Ade, but could you send me that picture of the helmet liner too? I've never seen it.

Kind regards,
Jef Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Me too, please Big Grin

Sorry I ask you so much these days, ade... LOL
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…