Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz Ledermuseum Caliga Reconstruction
Quote:Now the ones you mention Martin- it's one thing for there to be no mention of a two layered sole, but that's not the same thing as them reporting that it's a single layer; do they actually say it's one thickness? It's not that I doubt that there were caligae with single layer soles, or even that it wasn't the more common form, I'm just interested to know the relative proportion.

Correct and with that in mind I wrote it the way I did. Some of the discriptions leave little doubt that a single layered sole is actually meant, some actually say so. Leather thickness is rarely mentioned unfortunately, but one piece from Castleford is reported to have 9, 4 and 7mm (from bottom up) after conservation.
Shoe reports generally do not mention multi-layered outer soles, so I take this as a strong indication that most if not all of those soles were single-layered, since it just would have been mentioned somewhere (and probably more than once if it were more frequent.
Just like you I would also love to know the relative proportion of single- vs. multi-layered soles, although the few finds we have would not really bear much relevance in that respect.

Anyhow I'll keep an even more open eye from now on on the soles when I have a chance to see any finds! :-) )
Quote:The sole isn't excessively wide anywhere- it's about 3mm wider than the foot tracing I used, and it fits just fine. The upper does wrap around the heel and the caliga is quite firmly held in place as I've made it...
When I do a foot trace, I usually exaggerate the instep. If I don't, the souls seem to slip side to side. I, personally, feel much more comfortable when they snug up good to my instep and across the top of the arch.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Ah, okay, I guess it depends from which position one is coming from as I'd expect it not being stated specifically would leave the possibility more open :wink: It all depends on whether the descriptor found such a feature important enough to either look for or even mention. It'd be interesting to know if it was noted for either of the first two I posted that are clearly double-layer soles. If not, that would certainly suggest it wasn't always felt to be an important feature.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Ah, okay, I guess it depends from which position one is coming from as I'd expect it not being stated specifically would leave the possibility more open

Certainly true, Matt. Where the drawings are detailed enough AND at the right angle, I can only make out single layers, but by number those are only a few unfortunately, the rest being shown from top and/or bottom only. I remembered however that most of those publications above also describe soleae where they do make a distinction between single- and multi-layered soles. Also the added work and complexity of employing a tunnel stitch for me points towards single layers

Quote:It'd be interesting to know if it was noted for either of the first two I posted that are clearly double-layer soles.

Oh, yes, it certainly would! Unfortunately I don't know if and where those are published ...

Anyhow, as your pictures indicate as well as thinking in practical terms, double layered outer soles surely can't be ruled out, people worked with what they had and when the material was felt to be too thin, adding another one would be the natural thing to do. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention, Matt!

That being said, I don't think there were triple-layered outer soles!!! ;-) ) Anyone?
Quote:Also the added work and complexity of employing a tunnel stitch for me points towards single layers

Right- that was my initial thought that it doesn't make so much sense to use the technique of tunnel stitching when a double-layer sole would allow one to simply stitch through the first layer. A single-layer sole would require tunnel stitching. I would hope that anyone examining artifacts and determining tunnel stitching was employed wouldn't be fooled into identifying stitching through a thin first layer that only looks like a single layer; I could actually see two layers melding at the edge to look like one more than I can see a single looking like two. I've managed the former myself- up close the seam is a bit visible, but then a couple of thousand years in mud, water or any other environment that allowed preservation might well obscure seam...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mainz revisited - low caliga no.16 Martin Moser 6 1,876 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Mainz Calceus Reconstruction Martin Moser 53 16,560 02-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Preliminary Mainz Caliga Pattern Neuraleanus 20 6,677 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Dean Cunningham metalsmit