Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz revisited - low caliga no.16
Hi all,

it's been a while but I am finally getting back to (Roman) shoe making. I recently finished a variation of the common caliga I had already meant to do for a long time now (planning is so much easier than doing, isn't it?) - a low caliga found at Mainz, most probably dating from the early 1st cent. AD. Interestingly only one of the three shoe that were found was nailed, which immediately leads us to the (unanswered) question whether this type was worn by soldiers.

[attachment=8566]IMG_1831-crop.JPG[/attachment]

For a few more pictures please see http://sutor.jimdo.com/shoes/roman-shoes...iga-mainz/

Cheers,
Martin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have in the past made many caligae but would not claim to be an expert on the subject, however this looks to be a shoe maybe worn by say a commander for relaxing around the house.
What would help I think is a measurement might show if indeed it was worn by a man or even a woman but then it looks so much more to be a man.
Brian Stobbs
Awesome work! Do you have pictures/ information about original?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
The sole length of the 3 finds are 20.5, 21 and 27 cm (after conservation). The largest one is the one that is nailed. All 3 were found in the early 80s in Mainz Emmeranstr. Cf. Göpfrich, Jutta: Römische Lederfunde aus Mainz. Offenbach: 1991
Very Nice Smile given the size range it would seem it could be worn by anyone male or female, though the 27cm shoe is most likely male.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Martin.
I still have to say it looks very much a civilian type shoe and not one that would be worn by any soldier in the field.
What I do have to say is I like your reconstruction of it very much and have to say just how I notice that you also like myself, have created the sole just that bit smaller where the sides of the straps will hold the foot secure.
This is a thing that many should take notice of for where one draws a line around their bare foot for a boot they forget to make it just that bit smaller, this then gives right angles when the straps are pulled together with a loose area at the edges of the foot and so a sloppy boot with the foot sliding around in it.
I find that many who would claim to make shoes or boots don't understand this and this is where their work is a bit poor.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I still have to say it looks very much a civilian type shoe and not one that would be worn by any soldier in the field.

Yes, if I had to say one or the other, I'd also lean to civilian.

Quote:and have to say just how I notice that you also like myself, have created the sole just that bit smaller where the sides of the straps will hold the foot secure.

Well spotted :-) Yes, I agree.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Preliminary Mainz Caliga Pattern Neuraleanus 20 6,616 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Dean Cunningham metalsmit
  Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 Neuraleanus 22 7,294 02-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Neuraleanus
  Mainz Ledermuseum Caliga Reconstruction Matt Lukes 34 9,191 01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes