Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata: can I do it????
Quote:Do all hoops have the same length?

Unless your torso is stongly tapered in one direction or the other, you can make all the girdle plates (girth hoops, whatever) the same length and it will work just fine. That's how we've done every lorica in Leg.XX for years, with no trouble.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:Some of you mentioned a cardboard mockup. I did a "Kalkriese" and a Corbridge B a while ago (at least the collar sections), but as the cardboard has different qualities compared to the metall I have problems to estimate whether the mockup's have a good fit, actually. Any secret signs how to recognize that? I.e. how do I know which size the plates shall have?
Especially I'm puzzled whether the future weight of the girdle plates - approx. 5-6 kg at 18 gauge - will prompt the collar sections to reduce the opening for the neck.

The mockup ought to be very similar in sizing to a steel version- at least I've never encountered any problem using cardboard patterns myself. So if your cardboard versions fit, the steel should too as long as you maintain the dimensions and curves.

And I've also never encountered or even heard of any difficulties with the weight of the girth section causing the neck opening to be pulled in, so I don't think you'll have any problems there- remember also that the weight of the shoulders pulls the breast, collar and back outwards so counters any pull of the girth section.

Quote:Do all hoops have the same length? A buddy told me so but I'd like to have a second opinion, as some pictures seem to indicate the opposite and it is nowhere exactly mentioned.

There seems to be some debate on this issue; given that the difference in hoop length if they are cut to produce a straight centerline when stacked is very minimal (on the order of 3mm less each for 20ga. plates) I would think it very difficult to demonstrate that it was done using exant artifacts given their state of corrosion. I've examined good diagrams of all the Corbridge Hoard and haven't been able to see any clear proof of continually reduced plate lengths. And given the variability in plate shapes and sizes and other 'mass-produced' aspects of the Lorica segmentata, I find it hard to believe the Romans did in fact go to the trouble of altering the length of each subsequent girth hoop plate to achieve a taper and straight midline; I'd expect to see a lot of other things done with more care for sizing and shape first. All that being said, I usually do, myself, make the small length change for esthetic reasons- the slight taper, to me, looks nicer than the bell shape one gets from the plates being of equal length. But that's just my own opinion :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
When we taper.. when.. it's to the hip and not the waist. The subarmalis and fascia ventralis often take up any difference in a waist smaller than the hip for average guys and can reduce the athletic V shape of some guys.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 272 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,788 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,939 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs