Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Century Roman Leather Pouch Link
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:xw1uwdjp Wrote:I am planning on doing a pouch myself, but a simpler design altogether.

Neat, let's see a pic after you've finished!

I've been making pouches using that "fake" leather stuff you get at fabric stores -- purely decorative, fanciful bags (those wrist purses you referred to Byron :lol: -- but I'd like to try making genuine leather ones.

Actually Sharon, those 'wrist purses are not fanciful, and are made of bronze...one is on display at Corbridge! :wink: :lol:

I just bought some veg tanned hides from leprevo Sharon, there must be a source near you in Canada, it makes things so much more realistic. And you get that 'real leather' smell to boot! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Mithras:3rj1f3g5 Wrote:From personal experience ... no hanging pouches!

Quite possibly why they are not seen in sculpture, all carried safely in bags....

I put most of my stuff inside my tunic, even when wearing armour. It will not be lost this way, and I've got it always within reach.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
Sharon, there must be a source near you in Canada, it makes things so much more realistic. And you get that 'real leather' smell to boot! Big Grin

Yes, I found a leather source here in Ontario! Now it's just a matter of getting some moolah together to get the stuff, along with some basic tools.

Questions for Martin (and the other seasoned leatherworkers Smile what is the best way to cut leather? I'm planning to make just simple pouches in different sizes ... would sewing scissors do the trick, or an X-acto knife perhaps? Which brings me to the next question: what is the best kind of leather to get for this? I don't want anything too thin, and nothing too thick that it would be difficult to work with ...

Oh, I wish there was a sticky section here specifically for leather projects! :?
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
If you have heavy duty sewing scissors, you can cut leather. If you bought them at a fabric store, or a WalMart type store, you will probably not be able to cut leather with them. It only takes a snip or two to see. Here in TX, a good pair of leather/cloth scissors will cost about 25USD. But if you pay attention to how you use them, they'll last years and years.

Short of leather-capable scissors, you may have some metal snips, and they might do it. You can use an Xacto, or other craft knife, if it's a good sharp one, and for straight cuts, I recommend using a metal straight edge of some kind. You don't have to cut all the way through thick leather in one stroke. Cut partway, then go back over the cut. Put a softwood board, or a piece of plywood you don't care about under the leather, then the leather, then the knife and straight edge. That way, you can safely cut all the way through, but not damage the table underneath. Save your cutting board, as you'll probably need it again. I usually just use a piece of 1 x 6. Works fine.

Cutting curves is a matter of taking care, and keeping the blade perpendicular to the leather surface. If your knife goes in at an angle, the result will be a non-flat cut. Never use a ball point pen to mark lines or cuts. It is permanent, and will transfer itself to something you don't want permanent ink on. Same applies to Sharpies and "Magic Marker" permanent pens. I use a blunted nail, and just scribe a line on the good surface, not too deep, just enough to see, or a regular pencil on the back side. Either one works.

Hope that helps. Need more? PM me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
it helps me a lot -- thank you David!
My sewing scissors are the cheapest fabric-store variety, so I'll be using my Xacto knife. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
A number 15 blade is safer and easier to use than a number 11. The 11 has a lot of cutting edge, but tends to cut bevels rather than vertical slices, at least when it's in my hand.

Just a thought.
And a laud for your nerve! Cutting up leather for any project is pretty scary the first time or six. I remember looking at (someone else's purchase of) elk skin for about three days before I laid scissors to it. It wasn't replaceable. I was kinda scared, but the coat was beautiful in the end, and he was happy.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Which brings me to the next question: what is the best kind of leather to get for this? I don't want anything too thin, and nothing too thick that it would be difficult to work with ...

Romans seem to have used a lot of goat for things like this (alum tanned leather is more resistant to tearing than the veg-tanned variety), so this should be first choice. Sheep is possible, too. If you want to carry a lot of weight in it, you should consider cow hide.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather working tools 1st/2nd century AD scotti73 6 2,713 10-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pouch from Israel Martin Moser 45 9,304 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  The Pouch version pivus 23 4,669 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Robert