Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
So hang on...is this a tutorial for a wooden rudis, or a metal bladed gladius?

Here are some links on stock removal once you have researched a pattern and have all the pre-requisite dimensions:

[url:iqht1kmb]http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/armor/swords/sword_making.htm[/url]

A definitive guide:

[url:iqht1kmb]http://www.engnath.com/public/manframe.htm[/url]

More good stuff:
[url:iqht1kmb]http://www.dfoggknives.com/craftof.htm[/url]

Legion: TBD
Quote:Hi well I just tried to upload a pic of the projects and it wouldn't allow it said I have already uploaded limit of 1mb and so far haven't uploaded anything I believe.

Thank you all for your kind support. WIll have to sort this out here and try again later.

Have a good one today mates!

Rick

You can ask Jasper for more upload space.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thanks HEAPS Jef!

WIll do that!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Hi Matt thank you very much again for offering your bit into this project Have been to all of those sites, have them saved in my Favorites folder and yes for the third time at least I have done my research.

To answer your question again the thread is about making a sword ideally a Roman gladius and first touches upon the making of a rudis. Again the purpose of that is to familiarize the craftsman out there with tool use, SAFETY , powers of observation, and how both proper and improper angles become transferred into ones hands and so on and so forth. These are all acquired skills that take some kind of practice or direct hands on experience.

Then after a timber subject there will hopefully be more inbuilt confidence and thus a greater chance at success with steel and less chance for disappointment on a much more effort driven and time consuming material. Steel which of course makes for the actual end product we wish to acquire.

And YES it will assume that some people don't have a clue and need to gain certain information from day dot.

I am sorry if anything I have said here was confusing My apologies. Please can we just but wait here until I can get it all up there??

Thank you very much for your input.

Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Quote:I am sorry if anything I have said here was confusing My apologies. Please can we just but wait here until I can get it all up there??

There's nothing that anyone has to apologize for Rick- misunderstandings are no big deal, I just don't want you to think that anyone was criticizing you Big Grin

As for posting images, I find online image hosts such as Photobucket ([url:2di89c4e]http://photobucket.com/register.php?link=topmenu[/url]) are great and I recommend them. They're free to use and all you need do is copy and paste the link you're given as an attachment here and your images come up with no restrictions, and people don't need to click on them.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Matt thank you. I didn't feel criticized really but I did feel somewhat unheard as I believe I had already explained certain issues that were again brought forward after that fact. The intro was NOT at all a complete pre orientation it was merely something like a howdy doody, here's what we're doing sort of thing. A portion of this is also a bit spontaneous so working as I go

Sweet as all is cool now I would just like to get going here I still have much to process. Originally Just wanted to know how many would be interested in such a thread before I lit the midnight oil. Big Grin

The photo-bucket URL sounds like it's right up my alley at the mo so I am grateful for that Matt. In your opinion what do you think we should do here just toss this thread in the circular file and begin anew or??

Thank you once again Matt.

Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Well, i'm definately interested, so get working on it, will ya? Big Grin

Legion: TBD
Okity Dokity Uncle Matt Big Grin
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Gaius Julius Caeser!

This is what Jarrah Looks like before it's finished. Top item is a blank for rudis the one below a rudis in progress. Unfortunately the bits I had are too short to incorporate grips, pommels etc so those will have to be epoxied on. There are a couple of ways rudis can be made one for a presentation (gift) piece and the other for training purposes.
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
I'm very curious to know how long it takes you to make a blade like that. I mean the metal one, not the wooden ones :wink:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Salve Jef,
Actually the blade in the pic is no state fair winner yet. Still a little more shaping.

How long it takes is totally dependent on ones skills, familiarity with the work and OHHHhh yes what kind of tools one has. Also depends on the hardness and thickness of the steel.

If one has a half decent angle grinder, belt sander, Heavy duty bench grinder it can be done comfortably in a few days.

If one can obtain the higher grit belts for a stationary sanding machine, say 300-400-600 grit, the entire polishing process becomes somewhat streamlined. The highest I have found here is only 120.

I personally have zipola right now tool wise since my bargain angle grinder caught on fire near the end of stock reduction. had to continue on with files and emery paper. Hopefully I will very soon find another bargain dealy I can blow up. My belt sanding mech isn't powerful enough for stock reduction but cool for clean ups and first stage polishing. I am probably going to just go out and find the best single phase motor I can and build my own.

I am trying to do this so it doesn't cost others twice the national deficit just to make a blade. Hope this helps

Thank you very much Jef

Best Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Hey Rick,

cheers for the pics, looks like good hardwood?

Been down for a couple of days, as need new modem for homepc, and updated software....hopefuly will be online soon!

I know what you mean about griders going up in flames...went through at least six in the south atlantic installing soundproofing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look forward to the posts! Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Marcvs I agree with Titvs it all depends on steel,blade shape and size it can take me 10-20 hours to do a blade :roll: I sometimes feel like that after the job.
Titvs how much does it cost you to by grinders I get cheap ones from about £10 for a 800 wat motor to about £20-£25 for a 1000wat joby,although the cheap one is not as smooth for the delicate work.I still have my shipyard grinder but its 110 V but a great workhorse when I can get a cheap transformer :lol: looking forward to your postings happy grinding.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Brennivs and Gaius Julius Caeser!!

Like PEACE, llLLLLOVE and GRANOLA to ya Bros n sons n cousins n such!!

Wish yo thank you both heaps for your support and also for your comments.

Brennivs LOVE your setup looks meaningful and chocka with no nonsense right on head work. FANTASTIC idea and really simple yet innovative application to stock removal and obvious other uses!!

So far as cheapola grinders I am going to pass this time. taking a standard single phrase motor and mounting as bench top machine. will have adjustable height. Then fitting something like a universal arbor to accept all sorts of tools like larger size grinding discs, buffing pads, stones, cut off discs etc. I believe it will give that really neat hefty grunt one needs for fast stock removal.

Brennivs I also congratulate you HEAPS for your stunning performance here on RAT you deserve the BEST Mate!!

Cheers Mates!!

Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Thanks Titvs Big Grin D
all the best .Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,643 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,773 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,413 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer