Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
yeah well you can hand carve it too if you wish but it's very hard to make a perfect orb by hand it sorta needs to spin. I was refering to a classic ball type pommel however any number of known correct designs like yeah sure.
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
You can ask your local sheet metal resouce if they'll save you all the offcuts! It's what i do and it SURE lowers the cost of 18 or whatever mild gage.
What seems to be giving you trouble Byron?

Thanks

Titus
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
just tracking down one who will do it....am getting sent from pillar to post, one supplier to another....must be the accent! :x lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:just tracking down one who will do it....am getting sent from pillar to post, one supplier to another

Welcome to the 21st century. And they are totaly unapollogetic about wasting half you day and your petrol allowance for the month. Just remember let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages. Now THAT"S Coleus!!!

I don't get it. my mates down at Sheet Metal Services are relieved to get rid of those scrappy bits it all just gets rusty in their warehouse and they can't do anything with it anyway so I get it cheap from them.

Remember once you gave me advice on my rowdy neighbors?? You advised me to dawn my gear and go Roman on them!! so what's good for the goose is good for the gander ! Or you can always call in the ladies from hell!!

Walk in with a viloin case and that pin stripe double breasted Brooks Brothers suit of yours and tellum you got about 12 guidos on the way!! THEN you got sheet metal!! :lol:
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadly, I only own a swedish double breasted....and it is a few years too small for me :oops: :oops: :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
so THAT's no excuse! Go get one of those big puppets with moving mouth, dress him up in it and give him a revolver! Who cares if he gets shot? sick sick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
:lol: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Matt thanks for that. I think there was a major misunderstanding from the get go with this thread. I barely got the intro out and it was already assumed that I had not done any research. In other words I never got the chance to get there yet in my presentation here.

Okay, I have no idea where that idea would've come from- nothing whatsoever was assumed or said about your research, all we wrote was that it was necessary to discuss designs first- you hadn't presented one so how could it be criticized?

Ironically, the issue probably wouldn't have come up had you termed this a rudis-making tutorial- since I don't believe any originals are known, there is no 'accurate' design, and the idea might even be unrealistic anyway :lol:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I was under the impression that a rudis was a wooden sword, with lead weighting, for training purposes? Can't recall where I read it now, as it was a couple of years ago at least.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Matt actually I am ready to trash the entire venture because it's quickly losing it's flavor and becoming sour graped. I have yet to even actually present it and already it is being picked apart far too prematurely and I really don't want to go into some arena and have to qualify every move I make or accidental miswording here.

I am firmished at this point that the members in this forum still don't get it after I had tried to clarify it as best as I possibly could. Again I have DONE my research and did not come here to have to defend myself and draw lengthy explanations for something I have not even been given the opportunity to yet explain. In other words allow a person to GET there first.

The purpose of the tutorial was to try and HELP members who have never attempted this kind of work to get it into their own hands and find a deeper enjoyment and enrichment of this study.

So far as researching the rudius there is going to be as much info out there as there is going to be and if that's all there is then that is all there is. It was in fact a simple wooden sword for use in practice and or presentation as a gift.

If someone believes I am incompetent and wishes to take over for me here they can knock themselves out. I'm done.

Thank you sir
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Rick, please re-read what I wrote carefully- did I mention anything about researching the rudis? No, in fact I wrote that had it been clear that this thread was about the rudis, the issue of design probably wouldn't have come up. I also thought I clearly stated that no one could have been commenting on your research because you didn't present any! How can you be criticized for something no one knew about?

Clearly Caius and I, as well as others it seems, were under the impression that you were to write about gladii- for which design is important, and the suggestion was that it'd be important for you to discuss this at the beginning. It was a suggestion on how the tutorial should be written to be of maximum value, and had nothing to do with you personally.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Well, I have been under the impression, which I am sure I got from Rick to start with, that the project would be a mainz! But the idea of it would be to teach some of us the basic steps required? I dont see how any confusion could have arose! :wink:

I may not have a degree in anything, but I understood that much.
The idea would be to be able to transfer this knowledge to a blade of any design! That would be left to the individual! Be it a Pompey, Mainz, Spatha, or a pugio!

A rudis is a nice diversion!
So lets not keep this from moving on, as a man of your obvious talents has a lot to offer in the way of pointers, Matt!

If the point was to be totally 100% authentic, then we should all start with the basic ore, smelt it to produce raw iron, then hammer it into a billet!

But we are not doing that, we are just shaping a blade from stock! Iron, steel, whatever!

Now! I await further input that is to the point!

And quit the damn bitching!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I agree with Giavs on this one it is a tutorial on how anyone can make a blade with a little help .If someone can take the time to put grinder to steel and produce a blade deserves Laudes. If I or Titvs or any one else can inspire those to have a go at anything Roman then thats got to be a good thing Big Grin Titvs keep up the good work 8)
Regards Brennnivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Indeed Titus. Please share your experience with us. I'm looking forward to the tutorial.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi well I just tried to upload a pic of the projects and it wouldn't allow it said I have already uploaded limit of 1mb and so far haven't uploaded anything I believe.

Thank you all for your kind support. WIll have to sort this out here and try again later.

Have a good one today mates!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,643 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,773 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,413 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer