Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conclusion to the problem of tunic color
Try reading Ovid, he often mentions shades and colors.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:
Graham Sumner:3f9gewc5 Wrote:P.S After reading some of the above posts it is obvious that my next book should be Ospreys 'Roman Movie Uniforms'. :wink:

Now there's an idea... :roll:

I actually think this is a good idea. In fact I would vote will by wallet and buy a copy.

It might not be well received by Hollywood production and costume designers, but I think it would find favor among the members of this board and the wider community of history students.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
The outlook of Demetrius is positively refreshing! Indeed, human nature shines through every time. For something worn under a hamata or segmentata, color would be of lesser importance and purchase based on availability. I would still want to stress the economy of decisions in buying "battle-wear", while custom, superstition or religion could also play an important role. If I thought Mars would favor me for wearing his color and lend me strength in battle, I would certainly know right sweet which color I would don when going out to pound the Hun or what enemy have you!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
wow, quite a few laughs and some interesting thoughts on this one, ive been away a few weeks in the thick of it and i needed this, however i'll stick to my red,...it really does look best

oh and since i reaqlly dont know and thought gladiator was fine when i saw it as im new to the historicaly acurate aspects of all this, i just love rome and im learning, im guessing praetorian guards didnt wear purple then? hmmmm
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Great Tunic Color Debate ... Again. Narukami 13 3,187 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Roman Tunic Color Correus 27 8,498 09-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Tunic color Vlad the Impala 52 10,047 09-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Last Post: drsrob