Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum on the mausoleum of Munatius Plancus
mmmmmmmm i find the eyes VERY similar to first century horse armor, and the photo i posted was via Google.... so i am not sure wether either that, or the frieze is 3rd century.......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:I don't know the provenance of these, unfortunately.

I think that these pictures are from 1st century AD limestone base from an honorific monumet erected for consul Sextus Appuleius.

http://www.antiquemilitaryhistory.com/i ... etope4.JPG

Is the middle thing dished shield?
Martin
Quote:Is the middle thing dished shield?
Looks like laurels maybe, eroded smooth by the weather.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
[Image: something.jpg]

Strange...it really looks like dished shield for me.
Martin
Quote:[Image: something.jpg]

Strange...it really looks like dished shield for me.

Definitely looks like a dished shield to me, too.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Well, I disagree strongly with you both, but it's a big world and there's plenty of room in it for everyone's opinion. The dish on that shield would be so big it could protect up to two ranks behind the bearer. :wink:

Laurels.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Well, I disagree strongly with you both, but it's a big world and there's plenty of room in it for everyone's opinion. The dish on that shield would be so big it could protect up to two ranks behind the bearer. :wink:

Laurels.

I think it's clearly a stylized dished shield, and I *think* it might be a gladiator shield, actually. How does it look anything like a laurel?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
If you look closely at the bottom left part of the so called shield, which is not a shield in my opinion, you see the remains of the carving of the laurels.....

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
If it were a shield, it would be one of a hoplomachus. See the left guy in this pic:
[Image: hoplmurm.gif]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
And those shields were probably NOT hollow like the Greek ones.........

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Hi,
interesting, I'd say, they're oval. At least the one in the detailed picture seems certainly oval to me...
Mike, do you write about these shields in "Roman Military Equipment" or are there also any... ehm... more rectangular shields?

There is a proper curved rectangular shield with a spina (and the usual Roman problems with perspective;-) on the mausoleum which has not been illustrated here. As I said, I have a photo of it but it is not mine so I can't post it here. Instead I've traced the shield itself and dotted the outline of the rectangular panel so that you can see the distortion caused by its being photographed with a long lens at an angle.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
And there's yet another variant of scutum for our delight and delectation. Ta Mike.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, the 4th item is from the honorific monument erected for the consul Sextus Appuleius. I think that No.5 is also from this monument, although I am less sure about the others. I think it's in Rome somewhere!

Caratacus (Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Hi,
thank you very much, Mike. Smile
Greetings
Alexandr
Hi, I think the scutum on this Caligula's coin has spina too...am I right?
Martin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warriors in the Julii Mausoleum of Glanum Caturix 3 1,929 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Caturix
  \'Gladiator\' mausoleum found? Luca 3 1,599 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Luca
  The Mausoleum Hadriani L C Cinna 5 2,018 07-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte