Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castra Romana-Pompeii II Cancelled
Herdingcats... That about sums it up... :lol:
Quote:Herdingcats... That about sums it up... :lol:

Indeed, a very suitable expression. I'm fully into that too at the moment. Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I need to get numbers from those I haven't spoken too, if you are coming by yourself also email me or send in a registration form from the website. I need to get a good count for the feast and lunches for all the days we are there. Also make your hotel reservations now, so we know if we will need to add rooms.

Those in the hotel should try to carpool the six blocks to the site, or walk it. we will cover that more onsite.

Unit commanders, let me know how many tents are coming too (some of you I already know) and any static display items you want to set up. Space is limited, but I have an extra area if we need it.

Everyone who can be there by noon friday needs to be. The press will be there as well as some school kids that afternoon.

Setup starts thursday at 1100.

Rusty
2 weeks! More hotel rooms will be available next week (we filled the 15 we had) so wait till tuesday to call for a room. We will need to carpool from the hotel or walk to maxiize the use of onsite parking.

No other surprises! Just look over the FAQ's as they will answer most of your questions.

Dinnner saturday night will be catered by Carraba's Italian Eatery, and will be good!

The Florida, SC, Tennesee, Texas, and NC contingents have checked in, and I have several individuals from further north. Please let me know if you are coming and if you will have family participating or at least eating with us!

Look forward to seeing you all there!
Anyone who has room for some gents in your hotel room (to split costs) please let us know. We have filled the 17 rooms we have, and are trying to get more, but just in case, let me know if you can host a guest or three in the room with you (they sleep 4). Guaranteed to be good Romans!

[email protected]
Best of everything, milites! Here's to good weather for the duration of the event... (*looks around, sees nobody else, clinks coffee cup against head*)
OW!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
We have 10 more rooms allocated at the reduced rate. Don't wait to call! Like last time it may take a few hours for this to get in system. I just got the notice.

Rusty

"Cat Herder"
life has intruded in my fun, so for various reasons, I shall not be able to attend. Sad
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
We are monitoring Hanna closely. All participants need to stay tuned to the yahoo group for updates. At the point the storm is projected to hit SC, and I (Rusty) may not be able to attend, but at this time (Monday AM) the event will go on. The concern is where it goes next, currently Charlotte on Saturday morning. While this is a 5 day projection, and may change at any time, I wanted to be sure everyone was up to speed that we are watching it and will make firm decisions by wednesday afternoon at the latest.

Remember Mike Daniels in Houston and our Texas friends from Mobile, they are getting nailed by Gustav later today. While we can all pray for a track change for Hannah, or a weakening, The folks in the way of Gustav are getting nailed, so remember them most.

Rusty
As of this time we are on hold. Final decision will be made
tomorrow at 1500 hours (3pm), and will be based on the track at that
time. We have several considerations:

1. Danger of travel by re-enactors driving up thru the storm
2. Deluge of rain making the pristine field a sea of mud that we
will trample.
3. Lack of attendance due to rain
4. Tropical storm force winds are forecast into NC, so tents could
fly
5. Many of our military and LEO/Firefighters are already on standby

If you need to make a call now, that is fine, let me know so I can
keep track on how many are cancelling. We have already had about 9
cancellations, ten counting me (we just got activated)

Hotel rooms can be cancelled up unto 3pm of the check-in day with no
charge to your account.

The 3 best models show a Cat 1-2 hit on Charleston or just south of
us. Followed by Hanna going to Charlotts as a Tropical Storm, and
maintaining a Tropical Depression amount of rainfall through Maine
(this is the EOC stuff, you will not find on the weather channel).

At this point, if you are wavering on canceling due to the storm or
for any safety related reason, my recommendation is to cancel.

We are discussing possible re-schedule dates, but do not know if it
will happen or not.

Rusty
The Roman Army Festival, Castra Romana Pompeii II is officially cancelled

The track now places the storm EYE on Georgetown, SC Saturday morning. The rain bands will cover most of North Carolina, and may include tropical storm force winds as far inland as Charlotte.

The decision was based on several criteria:

1. Travel dangers for the 30+ participants from Georgia, SC, Florida.
2. Traffic problems due to possible evacuations.
3. Tropical Storm Force winds in the Charlotte Area and associated safety concerns.
4. Heavy Rainfall causing the field to mud up and be destroyed by foot traffic.
5. Lack of public attendance due to Storm conditions Saturday morning.
6. Re-enactors canceling (21 already) due to weather

I stress that this decision is not made lightly. Many of us have a considerable time and financial investment in the event, and I must stress that the Museum gave me the final call. I do not want anyone of my family (you guys) hurt just to have an event. It is possible the storm will turn and the weather in Charlotte will be beautiful, but we still face the spectre of half the re-enactors having to travel thru the storm to arrive, and the other half driving thru it to get home.

Hotel reservations must be cancelled by 3pm of the day you were slated to arrive.

Gents who sent me their gear, I will ship it back next week, I am currently activated for Hanna and will not have time to get to it until we secure. It is safely stored.

We have discussed a possible reschedule later, but will decide at a future time. Just monitor the Yahoo Group.

Roman Days is September 24-26 at George Mason, lets try to Support them.

If you can drop us a prayer that the storm will stay mild, please do. My squad will be on James and Johns Island (Barrier Islands of Charelston).

My humblest apologies, it hurts, but we have to go with the track.

Rusty

PS: Unit Leaders, PLEASE help get the word out! I will post this on RAT and the Yahoo groups of the units coming, but I do not want to get a call Friday from someone who did not get the message. R
Oh, Rusty, that sucks big-time!! Sounds like a good call, though. Thanks for the plug for Roman Days. Best of luck down there, and our prayers are definitely with you and everyone else.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Bummer Rusty! I've made this thread a temporary announcement to help spread the word on RAT
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yeah, sorry to hear but I think it was the best decsion, Rusty!

Hope some of the Southern groups can make it to Virginia instead, and hopefully THAT weather will be good!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Thanks for your support guys, everyone who has emailed me has been very gracious and understanding, and I do appreciate it. We are family.

Rusty

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Castra Romana Roper Mountain In South Carolina rusty myers 0 1,303 09-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rusty myers
  Castra Romana X, South Carolina rusty myers 2 1,510 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Last Post: rusty myers
  Castra Romana IX rusty myers 6 2,120 11-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius