Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about embossing a Scutum (shield) & boss (hand
Salve,

When I look at examples of Scutums on Trajan’s wall, all appear to be embossed… with raised thunderbolts, wreaths, and other décor. Also, the overwhelming vast majority are oval in shape.

[Image: shield_3_47_h499.jpg]

From my research it appears that shield shape change sometime after the rule of Trajan (98-117 AD) to the more rectangular style seen carried by most recreators but, did the embossing go away too? I see that most recreators paint the details on.

For my impression, I’m targeting late Republic to Early Empire so, I personally will make a shield that is more oval in shape with a circular boss (as seen on Trajan’s column) but, would panting thunderbolts be good enough or would I need to emboss them for my time period?

I was thinking about using wood for the embossing, covering it to with fabric, and attaching it to the shield because the embossing I see looks rather thick, much thicker than brass would have been… am I right or way off base here?

Also, many of the bosses I see are ornate… is this too over-the-top? Or since they are actual examples in museums would copying one or combining the aspects of one or more be a good idea for an officer’s impression?

[Image: shieldbossGuttmann%20Collection.jpg]

This is a later 2nd century example but ornate
[Image: shield%20boss%20pattern%20original.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Questions about embossing a Scutum (shield) & boss (hand - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 04-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka docorative shield boss imGladii 12 2,473 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Leather Hand Guard/Glove to carry Scutum Antoninus05 17 4,456 05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  shield boss question Cephas23 3 1,467 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Cephas23