Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Seleucids Invent Heavy Cavalry?
Hello, Michael

Judging from the 4th century BC Choresmian fragments of the Massagetae which you just posted, and those posted earlier, I do believe we are looking at the earliest archaeological evidence of a catapharact. The Massagetae Saka were one of the earliest sophisticated steppe cultures within the Scythia continuum. See below.

In the 1990s, Yablonski excavated several graves in the Aral Sakar-Chaga region. This is the warrior's horse equipment from Kurgan 23, dated to the 8th cent. BC. We see a stirrup-shaped bit and three hole psalia, similar to the ones found in Arzhan 1 and Baifu M2. Unfortunately, no armor was found... or if it was, drawings were never published.

Reconsructions of 4th century BC Saka armor from an old Russian archaeological publication. Again, we see the collar and helmets originating during the Western Zhou period. We also see manica and two styles of pauldron. Looks to me like the Russians got it right.

Here is another ivory plaque from the Orlat find; a total of five plaques were found. This one again shows the flowing lamellar skirt, also the collar, plus a Chiese-styled helmet. Notice, too, the single feather atop the helmet... which is also very Chinese in origin. We are obviously looking at cultural links along a "silk road" before the accepted date of the silk road.

After the Yuezhi and their Saka heavy cavalry defeated the Sacarauli, they crossed the Hindu Kush and started the Indo-Scythian Dynasty (and I'm aware you know this). Here we have a coin the Saka King Azes; and we see, once again, what looks like a Zhou helmet, arm manica, and also the armored skirt.

We have no extant accurate descriptions of the Massagetae Saka. The only surviving references I know of are those in Herodotus, then Trogus (abbreviated by Justin), and finally Frontinus. However, the description of Massagetae equipment by Herodotus does match the known archaeological data: "... they use bows and lances, but their favorite weapon is the sagaris... with the caparison of their horses, they give them breast plates of bronze, but employ gold [foil over wood] about the reins, the bit, and cheek pieces." Above, drawing of plaques from burial 23, Sakar-Chaga. They resemble the circular, Siberian tiger, horse's breast plate found in Arzhan 1.

We also have a brief description from all three authors on the battle between Tomyris and Cyrus in which 200,000 Persians perished. I don't think we'll find more than we have now, and I'll close with an illustration of a Saka cataphract by artist Darios Caballeros.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did the Seleucids Invent Heavy Cavalry? - by Alanus - 01-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adoption of the cavalry shield in Hellenisitc heavy cavalry. abou 9 5,079 10-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  What did the Byzantines invent? Eleatic Guest 12 4,980 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Massagetean heavy cavalry in Gaugamela? aqd 25 9,472 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Last Post: bachmat66