Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Seleucids Invent Heavy Cavalry?
I'm repeating myself because I don't think you actually looked at the Orlat Battle Plaque (back in my first post) or are aware of the use of heavy cavalry by the Yuezhi, nor the significance of the armor and weapons depicted. The plaque shows a contingent of Yuezhi Sacarauli cataphacts, on the left, fighting Bactrian Saka at the right. The belt plaque can be dated to either 162BC (two battles) or 125BC, depending on which battle this scene represents. This is the earliest depiction of shock cavalry I know of. Note that even some horses are heavily armored.

Again, the belt plaque in its entirety. It accurately shows the use of Heavily-Armored Shock Cavalry.

Here is an enlarged view. (Left-click on it, and it gets even larger.) The armor, with its high collar and lamellar plate, is directly borrowed from Qin and Eastern Han prototypes. The swords are 2-handed with disk pommels and hang from jade scabbard slides-- the precise style of Warring States Chinese swords. Simonenko, Treister, and others, have noted that these swords were forged in China or are steppe copies of Chinese originals. The contus is a contus, used in the same manner as a contus.

Accurate archaeological drawing of fresco from the Yuezhi capital in Khalchayan, Bactria. The outliers are Yuezhi archers, and the central figure is a Yuezhi/Saka cataphract.

Actual head from Khalchayan statue, a cataphract wearing his arming-cap. The high Chinese-styled collar of his armor is still intact.

Fragments from Khalchayan fresco showing various pieces of cataphract and horse armor.

All of the above is factual, archaeological, proof of the Yuezhi and Saka as heavy shock cavalry in the 2nd to 1st century BC.
Now, if you would, please post an archaeologically authenticated, and dated, example of the use of heavy shock cavalry in the Seleucid Empire. Thank you.  Wink
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did the Seleucids Invent Heavy Cavalry? - by Alanus - 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adoption of the cavalry shield in Hellenisitc heavy cavalry. abou 9 5,084 10-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  What did the Byzantines invent? Eleatic Guest 12 4,986 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Massagetean heavy cavalry in Gaugamela? aqd 25 9,485 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Last Post: bachmat66