Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards
I thought a better view of this technique so went up to the Fabrica and expand  Smile

These show a better view of the profiles three are quite simple but I think you can with a little skill with file can produce most profiles for desired  effect.

This shows the start, you could cut the material down if you wish. The back stop will keep the material square and stop the lines wandering.

First pass.

Second pass.

Finally you can cut the excess away and crisp up the profile. Another thing i.e. when you make your press tool you need to take enough material away, to make allowance for the thickness of material you will use.

Finished piece plus the thickness of material used. Most tools I made are about 3" long but as you can see they can be made smaller. I hope this gives a better idea of the process, and you may think a lot of work for a job, but once done you have it for life Cool  you could buy a swage machine but expensive even second hand, plus you then need to make the roller dies for the profile.

This is what it looks like when put on the scabbard, running down the side is a strip I made from one of the other dies.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards - by brennivs - tony drake - 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? sulla felix 217 52,994 07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,396 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius Titus Publius Saturninus 92 23,505 06-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Marcus Hortensius Castus