Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historically forged Fulham Gladius
Hey guys! My latest work has been to create an extremely accurate example of a fulham pattern Gladius. I am not doing a reproduction of an archeological find but a sword of my own design following strict guidelines of style that the Romans used. I understand some of you will have different ideas of what "historical accuracy" is but this fulfills my own idea and here is my reasoning through the description.

The blade is probably the most accurate part. It is made from bloomery and hearth steel me and my friend Jeff Pringle made from ore and recycled wrought iron exactly as the Romans did. I folded layers of the bloomery iron and hearth steel together and forge welded more steel around the edge. This "piling" is precisely how most roman swords were made. It also leave a beautiful and subtle pattern showing off the many layers of forged steel, in total about 800. I estimate the carbon in the steel to be around 0.5% which is historically correct. Right by the hilt I inlaid a star and moon which is my blacksmithing touchmark and a common Roman motif. The moon is silver and the star is bronze.

On this note I do not believe any modern steels to be historically accurate. The look and feel is entirely different. Smelted steels work differently and have different tolerances which leads me to conclude that their metalworking techniques were different than modern blacksmiths, although I am trying to replicate that.

(stepping down from my soapbox)

The hilt is made entirely of antler and held together by a resin and the peening of the tang. The glue I used to hold this together was made with pine pitch and beeswax just as the Romans did. The bolster, pommel cap and ring are made of bronze.

I made the scabbard out of wood and riveted a bronze jacket to the surface. It is chased and reposed with different scenes I created, however all the images themselves are taken from Roman mosaics or other artwork. The baldric is made of veg tanned leather. The buckle and rings on the scabbard are tinned brass and copper. The chape is carved antler with Mars under a crescent moon and star. All of the rivets are silver.

This sword is for sale, and the current asking price is $2000. I am also available for custom work so feel free to PM me or check out my website.
www.underhilledge.com
[email protected]

[attachment=9599]inlay.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9600]IMG_5879.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9601]fish.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9602]boat.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9598]image.jpeg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe

Messages In This Thread
Historically forged Fulham Gladius - by jackmcauliffe - 04-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Historically forged Fulham Gladius - by Robert - 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,754 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  My New Fulham / Vindonissa Gladius Pointer 4 3,568 03-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Converting a Qama to a Fulham gladius Aetius Helvius Merula 16 4,786 08-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake