Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New Fulham / Vindonissa Gladius
It has been a while... I haven't done anything with any of my armor or Swords since my oldest brother and dad passed away in October of 2014.
Weather broke here last week, so I got the "Itch" again. Here are the beginnings of the sword I am making, blade and all.
Trying to stay Historically Accurate but not an exact "Replica" of any one sword.
Here is my attempt at a Fulham Gladius Blade and a "Vindonissa" Style Guard and Pommel with a bone hilt.
The Pommel and Guard are hand carved out of BOXWOOD. The Grip is Hand Carved Cow bone.
These two pictures are just "Fitting the Hilt" components to the Blade.
[attachment=12024]IMG_4464.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12025]IMG_4465.jpg[/attachment]

The guard will have an inlaid decorated brass plate. This is my preference.
The the tang will be peened over a special decorative washer that I am making tonight. (I decided to go this way, from drawings that I have, and, the tang was a bit to short for a nut. The Washer will be a flower patten similar to the rosettes on Helmets and the Flower pattern on some Balteus Plates.
Hope you like what you see so far. This blade is "SCAREY SHARP!"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks fantastic Patrick....well done mate. :-)
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Here are the other components of the Sword before I put it all together.

[Image: IMG_4471_zps8yrni1cm.jpg]
The Pommel... Hand Carved out of Boxwood

[Image: IMG_4478_zpsgtyhbls6.jpg]
The Guard Hand Carved out of Boxwood

[Image: IMG_4481_zps7giug79e.jpg]
Guard Plate... Brass

[Image: IMG_4484_zpsttpaxux4.jpg]
Pommel / Tang Washer? The tang was not quite lon enough to have a nut peened to it, so I made this decorative washer from Brass and Silver.

[Image: IMG_4486_zpscuhm5wne.jpg]
Grip... Hand Carved 6 sided Chiseled Grip from Cow Bone
oh decorative guard plate!
Yes... by choice.
Many of the guards that have been recovered that I have seen have a recess in them for a plate. Again... I am taking the components of historical finds and personalizing the swords for myself or customers. I can make Historically Accurate swords to your preference and measurements. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,709 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Historically forged Fulham Gladius jackmcauliffe 14 3,590 04-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Last Post: jackmcauliffe
  Gladius Vindonissa/Wiesbaden munazio planco 9 2,425 09-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius