Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
In all fairness to Konig I think that the price reflects the cost of Silver, for as far as I can make out he has cast these belt pieces. Which is not how the original was made as I have pointed out, there are three different pictures on these plates that are in circular panels boardered by other decoration around the edge of the beltplates. The outer boarder of the plates is the common feature of them all, then the centre picture panels were punched in later. The evidence for this is that some of the centre picture panels are not straight ie some are at 11.0clock where others are at 12.0clock and even others at 1.0clock. This indicates that the people who made them were a bit careless with their punching, (notice I do not say the craftsman who made them). For indeed it was ordinary people who made them, however it took a craftsman to design and create the decorative punches for them. As indeed I have done them in the past however I did not punch them, I made each plate by hand worked Reppouse' on silver sheet then wrapped them onto brass plates
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD. - by PhilusEstilius - 11-02-2008, 10:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,235 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,930 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,669 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs