Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the Gutmann italic H iron helmet
Quote:Damn! Never noticed that before! :oops:

Yes, I agree with Jim - this might well be an alternative method for securing the helmet to the wearer's head, instead of the ring at the rear of the neck guard. It might even be a more reliable method of doing so - in which case we have another puzzle - why wasn't it used more often?
Yup, I also wish I'd spotted that when I was making the plans for the Deepeeka version. :?

Perhaps it just wasn't that popular? That said, and AFAIK, we always assume very thin leather thonging was used on other helmets and simply tied. For all we know it may have been straps, still thin, but with buckles, or studs that went through holes. It's something I've mulled over now and again. AFAIK, the Pyrrhus bust with the straps that fix onto the cheek piece outer studs via holes (Montefortinos and Galic A style) is the only decent representation we have of such a thing. If anyone else knows of any others they'd be good to see.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question about the Gutmann italic H iron helmet - by Tarbicus - 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Helmet fastening - by Paullus Scipio - 12-11-2007, 12:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Italic G Hebron helmet photos Doc 1 883 08-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Worms Museum Help (Italic D helmet) Doc 8 2,359 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Doc
  Iron Age grave a unique find - Montefortino helmet in UK! Peroni 3 2,115 10-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Franklin