Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Town in Spain is destroyed to build a parking lot
Shouldn't we stay away from politics in this forum? Historically speaking, antiquity has been under attack from about all political parties and ideologies.

Quote:Just for a point of accuracy, the Nazis didn’t give the order to burn it, it was a spiteful act ordered by the single captain

I would love to see source for this. As far as I know, nobody knows exactly how the Nemi ships were burned. Museum staff found the site all burned down after germans had retreated from the hills (which were under allied artillery bombardment) and nazis were blamed for the act of course, but I've failed to found any concrete evidence in this case.

Those Nemi ships are very dear to me, having spent my childhood in Albano. I even have a piece of burned wood from the museum... Later these memories led to a seminar work about roman shipbuilding capabilities and the many peculiarities found in the Nemi ships. Luckily they were thoroughly documented in the 30s.

By the way, this is my first post here.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Town in Spain is destroyed to build a parking lot - by Dardanus Lupus - 05-03-2006, 08:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spain still Roman in 494 AD? Barbula 8 1,380 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon 66kbm 40 8,440 07-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Late Roman Fortifications in Spain - help SMC 13 3,026 11-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat