Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon
Seems they are popping up everywhere...a bonus when its in my own back yard.
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Roman-coins...story.html
Kevin
Kevin
This makes me want to take a quarter, and bury it in the ground somewhere where there is no people. Then a thousand years later it will baffle archaeologists, and I will snicker in my grave.
Any chance this site is on what would have been the river mouth do you think Kevin? So a port of some sort?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi all
I have had my suspicions about "something" being in the vicinity fot many years due to Teignbridge District being a "hotspot" for small Roman finds. My opinion is that if something is found then it will from the mid second to early third century. It would be really nice if they found some really early stuff, mid to late first century, as that could indicate the presence of II AVG.
I shall keep my eye on this one and update when possible.
For those who are unfamiliar with the area i have attached a map of recorded finds in the southwest of England, the Teignbridge area is within the yellow box.
Kevin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin
Coinhoard from thwe 4th century - always good news!!

Quote:This makes me want to take a quarter, and bury it in the ground somewhere where there is no people. Then a thousand years later it will baffle archaeologists, and I will snicker in my grave.
Aren't we reenactors doing that already? Imagine the puzzlement on the face of a 24th-c. archaeologist when he finds a 4th-c. coin clearly manufactured in the 21st century? Or am I the only one who plans a fully Roman burial with my cingulum, spatha and some personal belongings? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: ... Or am I the only one who plans a fully Roman burial with my cingulum, spatha and some personal belongings? :wink:

The horses I have buried have gone with their grave goods and I fully intend to do the same!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I've been accidentally seeding sites with worn hobnails and loose arrowheads for years.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Hello Robert,

I was thinking the same thing about my burial.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I did lose my Roman "dogtag" at Hamm Hill in somerset last September...wonder if anyone has found it and handed it in to the Portable Antiquities Scheme? :grin:
Kevin
Kevin
Give it a few years. :grin:
I lost a Late Roman belt in Kalkriese in 2005 and a bracelet at a 19th-c. fort last year. Who knows, in a few years, when they're properly corroded?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Re the belt at Kalkriese....that could make an interesting find in 100 years...the archeologists will be well baffled. As for my dogtag, its lead, can lead be carbon dated?
Back to the original subject...if they, the archeologists, find anything it will mean re-writting the records..major stuff.
Kevin
Kevin
I think there may just be a teeney weeny problem with stratigraphy and context here.

I'm sure any archaeologist worth his (or her) salt might just be able to tell the difference with finds found in a post medieval context on a known, previously excavated site. Confusedhock:

Or is that bursting your bubble too much? :mrgreen:
Moi Watson

The dig has started. I have located it and will try to blag my way on site next weekend along with my camera. The area the site covers is massive.
Start re-writing the books scholars, theres a new boy on the block, or Insula.
Kevin
Kevin
Hi all
A bit late on the update.
So the site was visited and was found to be in age ranging from the Bronze age through late Roman so its a little complex re excavation. In my words its easy, the site has continued to be used over several hundred years if not more. Exeter Uni are responsible for the dig and many future ones.
Check this site for a more thorough update (and giggle).
http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/diggingromandevon/
Next is some form of port/landing/beaching area to be found as the slate from this area was used in the construction of buildings in Exeter in the 3rd cent.
Sorry there is nothing more exciting to report....basically the locals carried on being locals not Romans.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:basically the locals carried on being locals not Romans.

If they were anything like local villager Barry it's a good job they didn't try! Confusedilly:
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A so called \"Pugio from Devon\" 66kbm 1 1,743 03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Roman Town in Spain is destroyed to build a parking lot Theodosius the Great 24 4,524 05-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Carus Andiae