RomanArmyTalk
Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon (/showthread.php?tid=20987)

Pages: 1 2 3

Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - 66kbm - 06-27-2012

Seems they are popping up everywhere...a bonus when its in my own back yard.
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Roman-coins-prompts-dig-uncover-Newton-Abbot/story-16425066-detail/story.html
Kevin

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Fwinzor - 06-27-2012

This makes me want to take a quarter, and bury it in the ground somewhere where there is no people. Then a thousand years later it will baffle archaeologists, and I will snicker in my grave.

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Vindex - 06-27-2012

Any chance this site is on what would have been the river mouth do you think Kevin? So a port of some sort?

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - 66kbm - 06-27-2012

Hi all
I have had my suspicions about "something" being in the vicinity fot many years due to Teignbridge District being a "hotspot" for small Roman finds. My opinion is that if something is found then it will from the mid second to early third century. It would be really nice if they found some really early stuff, mid to late first century, as that could indicate the presence of II AVG.
I shall keep my eye on this one and update when possible.
For those who are unfamiliar with the area i have attached a map of recorded finds in the southwest of England, the Teignbridge area is within the yellow box.
Kevin

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Robert Vermaat - 06-29-2012

Coinhoard from thwe 4th century - always good news!!

Quote:This makes me want to take a quarter, and bury it in the ground somewhere where there is no people. Then a thousand years later it will baffle archaeologists, and I will snicker in my grave.
Aren't we reenactors doing that already? Imagine the puzzlement on the face of a 24th-c. archaeologist when he finds a 4th-c. coin clearly manufactured in the 21st century? Or am I the only one who plans a fully Roman burial with my cingulum, spatha and some personal belongings? :wink:

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Vindex - 06-29-2012

Quote: ... Or am I the only one who plans a fully Roman burial with my cingulum, spatha and some personal belongings? :wink:

The horses I have buried have gone with their grave goods and I fully intend to do the same!

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Medicus matt - 06-29-2012

I've been accidentally seeding sites with worn hobnails and loose arrowheads for years.

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Doc - 06-29-2012

Hello Robert,

I was thinking the same thing about my burial.

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - 66kbm - 07-02-2012

I did lose my Roman "dogtag" at Hamm Hill in somerset last September...wonder if anyone has found it and handed it in to the Portable Antiquities Scheme? :grin:
Kevin

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Robert Vermaat - 07-03-2012

Give it a few years. :grin:
I lost a Late Roman belt in Kalkriese in 2005 and a bracelet at a 19th-c. fort last year. Who knows, in a few years, when they're properly corroded?

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - 66kbm - 07-04-2012

Re the belt at Kalkriese....that could make an interesting find in 100 years...the archeologists will be well baffled. As for my dogtag, its lead, can lead be carbon dated?
Back to the original subject...if they, the archeologists, find anything it will mean re-writting the records..major stuff.
Kevin

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Vindex - 07-04-2012

I think there may just be a teeney weeny problem with stratigraphy and context here.

I'm sure any archaeologist worth his (or her) salt might just be able to tell the difference with finds found in a post medieval context on a known, previously excavated site. Confusedhock:

Or is that bursting your bubble too much? :mrgreen:

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - 66kbm - 08-12-2012

The dig has started. I have located it and will try to blag my way on site next weekend along with my camera. The area the site covers is massive.
Start re-writing the books scholars, theres a new boy on the block, or Insula.
Kevin

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - 66kbm - 09-14-2012

Hi all
A bit late on the update.
So the site was visited and was found to be in age ranging from the Bronze age through late Roman so its a little complex re excavation. In my words its easy, the site has continued to be used over several hundred years if not more. Exeter Uni are responsible for the dig and many future ones.
Check this site for a more thorough update (and giggle).
http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/diggingromandevon/
Next is some form of port/landing/beaching area to be found as the slate from this area was used in the construction of buildings in Exeter in the 3rd cent.
Sorry there is nothing more exciting to report....basically the locals carried on being locals not Romans.
Kevin

Re: Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon - Nathan Ross - 09-14-2012

Quote:basically the locals carried on being locals not Romans.

If they were anything like local villager Barry it's a good job they didn't try! Confusedilly: