Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas?
Quote:Ah. Here I barge...
first for databases on inscription, have you people checked out Heidelberg?
Its no more complete than the Frankfurt one, but using both in parallel seems to get most things covered... the address is
http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institute/sonst/adw/edh/
As for your list of publications. Wow... but if you are looking for more diplomas, try for example
Römische Militärdiplome und Entlassungsurkunden in der Sammlung des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums / Barbara Pferdehirt
Mainz, RGZM (2004) ISBN 3-88467-086-7
- she fanatically collects these things and they are all hidden in an underground vault. But these two green monster books show you all the stuff she sits on!!! Its in German, but for looking at the actual diplomata surely it doesn't matter what language the book is in ;-)
C.

Ave Christoph,

Many thanks for your message.

My book list is the result of many years of searching and is far from complete. I've reached a stage where my desire for new books cannot be matched by my ability to pay for them. Therefore I have to be far more selective about the books that I buy in the future.

I've read a few snippets of information about the above mentioned books but so far I've not tried to buy them. Have you seen or do own copies of the books? Do they contain the Latin texts for each diploma? Do they contain diplomas not yet published in the RMD series?

Do you know what the literal translation of the title of these books is?

I'm assuming your knowledge and interests follow a similar path as do mine, for which I apologise. Any details you have, no matter how sparse, would be most welcome. I've checked through my copies of JRS XCIV for 2004 and XCV for 2005 but couldn't find a review. It wouldn't be in Britannia, I suppose, as it's unrelated. Do you know where I might find a review?

What interests do you have?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo (aka Jim)

PS. Wasn't L. Aufidius Pantera the commander of the British fleet c.60 AD?
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group

Messages In This Thread
Late but never - by L. Aufidius Pantera - 01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Re: Late but never - by Spedius - 01-19-2006, 01:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,556 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
Question A list of each Roman helmets date? Robcore 2 1,208 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Last Post: xxLegion2019
  List of Roman Battles Roy 65 50,266 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Maximus Decimus