RomanArmyTalk
Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? (/showthread.php?tid=4505)

Pages: 1 2

Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Spedius - 01-15-2006

Ave,

Over the last few years I have become more and more interested in the significance of Roman Military Diplomas. The amount of information that they contain is truly mouth watering. I am not a historian nor am I a scholar, I'm just a person who is interested in the Roman army. I came by this interest in an unorthodox way, if you will indulge me, I will explain.
I'm what is known as a "squirrel", meaning that I collect things, not nuts though.
I was reading George Shipway's "Imperial Governor" for the umpteenth time, at the back of the book is an "order of battle" for the Roman army in Britain. I just happened to have on my bookshelf a copy of G.L. Cheesman's "The Auxilia of the Roman Imperial Army". I thought to compare one with the other, not an easy task with my limited knowledge or understanding at that time. I came up with the notion that if I input this data into a spreadsheet it will be easier to analyse. It was that decision that changed many things for me. Instead of a simple comparison I kept on inputting more and more information. When I finally finished I had an analysis of Cheesman's book. (He had access to only 60 diplomas when he wrote his book in 1914, I read that we have over 800 now.) I kept coming across this word diploma and at that time I had no idea what it meant.
So I ran a search for it on the internet, trying many permutations until I finally hit paydirt, Roman Military Diplomas. I was able to buy RMD 1 & 2 from a second hand book dealer in the U.K. (He susequently sent me Dr. Margaret Roxon's obituary at a later date.) I've now also got RMD 3 & 4.
To cut a very long story short, I've got spreadsheets containing the garrisons of most of the Provinces. I've also got spreadsheets containing incomplete lists of Roman consuls, Provincial Governors, Legates etc.
I have John Spaul's two books, Paul Holder's two books and many others.
I've also discovered the German university websites and have downloaded over 250,000 Latin inscriptions and I have the Blitz Latin translator.

I even thought at one stage that I'd discovered a missing Governor of Britain. Cn(aeo) Pompeio Sex(ti) f(ilio) Quir(ina) Homullo Aelio Gracili Cassiano Longino from CIL 06, 01626 as the partial sub of CIL 16, 00130=RIB 2401.12=AE1930, 00116 dated 25 May or 25 Jun 161?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo (RMD-01, 0009=AE1968, 00513)

PS. Is there a publication date yet for RMD5?

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Praefectusclassis - 01-15-2006

The most complete list is published in the RMD's, as far as I know. There are more diploma's known, many more, but not all have been published. New diplomas are often published in the Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik. I suppose that many people hope RMD5 will follow in 2010 or so, but I'm not sure anyone is working on it currently.

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Spedius - 01-15-2006

Quote:The most complete list is published in the RMD's, as far as I know. There are more diploma's known, many more, but not all have been published. New diplomas are often published in the Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik. I suppose that many people hope RMD5 will follow in 2010 or so, but I'm not sure anyone is working on it currently.

Ave Jasper,

Many thanks for your swift response.

I understood, perhaps erroneously, that Dr. Paul Holder of Manchester University here in the UK, had inherited Dr. Roxan's research material and was continuing where she left off. I've read on the internet of him giving lectures and writing articles on RMDs. In one of them he mentions RMD5 as if it might be imminent.

Do you think that the 190 diplomas contained within the CIL 16 collection, with all notes from all sources collated and translated into English, might one day be published in the same format as the RMD series?

Is there an internet source where the articles relating to diplomas and published in the magazine "Chiron" can be downloaded? Similar to the site that "Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik" (ZPE) are currently running. I was reading earlier that ZPE are intending to make more recent articles available for download through their website.

For those readers interested in ZPE articles, published from 1990 to 2004, they can be obtained from:- zpe downloads

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Praefectusclassis - 01-16-2006

Holder finished RMD04, that is correct, and he seems the logical person to continue the series. It's just a LOT of work to complete a new issue, we should all just keep our eyes open, but since a new one has just been published, and knowing the usual interval in previous issues, I don't think that'll be very soon, but I could be mistaken.
As to the diplomas in CIL 16, I doubt they'll be published in the RMD format. The CIL series is a widely accepted academic format and volume 16 is in itself a collection of diplomas published earlier in other CIL's.

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Praefectusclassis - 01-16-2006

Oops, just reading the review of RMD IV in JRA 18(2005) here, in which is mentioned that Holder is already working on RMD V.

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Spedius - 01-17-2006

Quote:Oops, just reading the review of RMD IV in JRA 18(2005) here, in which is mentioned that Holder is already working on RMD V.

Ave Jasper,

Yes I saw that review too, by M.A. Speidel and A.M. Hirt, that's possibly where I saw the mention of RMD V.

I'm aware that the CIL collection was an amalgamation of inscriptions previously published in the other sets. I was merely suggesting that it would be most helpful to be able to buy it in the same formats as the RMD series.

I mentioned in my opening post that I had discovered various German University websites that were of particular help in my search for information on or about RMDs, the best was here. I've included a link to aid others who may wish to find similar information. The University of Frankfurt's proud claim is "350,041 entries from 560 publications". By the way, we're talking about Latin inscriptions, just in case you're interested.

For readers who may have knowledge or would like to contribute their views on this topic please feel free to join in. This topic is not the exclusive preserve of either Jasper or myself.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Praefectusclassis - 01-17-2006

Hi Spedius
I think the site you want is this: http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~clauss/index-e.html
That's a most useful tool I have referred to a lot while writing my thesis (and still am).
And yes, you are right, a publication of the diplomas in CIL XVI in the form of RMD, with an English commentary and translation.

By the way, welcome to the forum and please, use at least your real first name.

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Spedius - 01-17-2006

Quote:Hi Spedius
I think the site you want is this: http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~clauss/index-e.html
That's a most useful tool I have referred to a lot while writing my thesis (and still am).
And yes, you are right, a publication of the diplomas in CIL XVI in the form of RMD, with an English commentary and translation.

By the way, welcome to the forum and please, use at least your real first name.

Ave Jasper,

Thanks for the correction, I've now changed it.

Sorry, my first name is Jim.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo (aka Jim)

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Nathan Ross - 01-17-2006

Quote:To cut a very long story short, I've got spreadsheets containing the garrisons of most of the Provinces. I've also got spreadsheets containing incomplete lists of Roman consuls, Provincial Governors, Legates etc.

Sounds like a very impressive piece of work. What do you plan to do with it now (other than continue to enlarge it)? If you're not intending to somehow publish it yourself, would you consider placing it on the internet, either on its own site or (perhaps) part of this one? I really don't know how difficult this would be, but a database like that, particularly if it could be hyperlinked to known unit histories, officers careers and so on, would be an invaluable resource.

Quote:
Quote:To cut a very long story short, I've got spreadsheets containing the garrisons of most of the Provinces. I've also got spreadsheets containing incomplete lists of Roman consuls, Provincial Governors, Legates etc.

Sounds like a very impressive piece of work. What do you plan to do with it now (other than continue to enlarge it)? If you're not intending to somehow publish it yourself, would you consider placing it on the internet, either on its own site or (perhaps) part of this one? I really don't know how difficult this would be, but a database like that, particularly if it could be hyperlinked to known unit histories, officers careers and so on, would be an invaluable resource.

Ave Nathan,

I must admit the thought of sharing my research with others had never really crossed my mind. Although I'm not adverse to the idea, I haven't a clue how I would do it. I don't know how to convert spreadsheet data into usable information for either a post or an entire web site. I've tried to copy and paste data from a spreadsheet into a post and it doesn't like it.
This is my booklist for the Roman army:-
Author/s The/A Title Publisher Date Format
Alston, Richard Soldier and Society in Roman Egypt Routledge 1995 HB
Auguet, Roland The Roman Games Panther 1975 PB
Barker, Phil The Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome (3rd Ed) WRG 1975 PB
Barker, Phil The Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome (4th Ed) WRG 1981 PB
Bedoyere, Guy de la Eagles Over Britannia Tempus 2001 HB
Bedoyere, Guy de la Roman Towns in Britain. Batsford 1992 HB
Birley Anthony Life in Roman Britain Batsford 1964 HB
Birley, A.R. Hadrian's Wall HMSO 1976 PB
Birley Eric Roman Britain and the Roman Army Titus Wilson & Son 1961 HB
Brady, Lt. Col. S.G. Caesar's Gallic Campaigns Stackpole 1968 HB
Branigan, Keith Roman Britain. Life in an Imperial Province. Reader's Digest 1980 HB
Breeze, David J. & Dobson, Brian Hadrian's Wall Pelican 1978 PB
Breeze, David J. & Dobson, Brian The Building of Hadrian's Wall. Frank Graham 1973 PB
Brion, Marcel Attila. Scourge of God Cassell 1929 HB
Burn, A.R. Agricola and Roman Britain English UP 1953 HB
Caesar, Julius The Civil War Penquin 1967 PB
Caesar, Julius The Conquest of Gaul Penquin 1976 PB
Campbell J.P. The Emperor and the Roman Army - 31BC to 235AD OUP 1984 HB
Cassius Dio The Reign of Augustus Penquin 1987 PB
Chadwick, Nora The Celts Pelican 1976 PB
Cheesman, G.L. The Auxilia of the Roman Imperial Army Ares 1958 PB
Clark, Grahame Prehistoric England Batsford 1940 HB
Collinwood R.G. ed The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume 1 Alan Sutton 1995 HB
Collinwood R.G. ed The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume 2 - Fasc. 1 Alan Sutton 1990 HB
Connolly, Peter Greece and Rome at War. Macdonald/Black Cat 1988 HB
Connolly, Peter The Greek Armies Macdonald 1977 HB
Connolly, Peter Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome Macdonald 1978 HB
Connolly, Peter The Roman Army Macdonald 1978 HB
Connolly, Peter The Roman Fort Oxford UP 1992 HB
Connolly, Peter Tiberius Claudius Maximus. Cavalryman. Oxford UP 1992 HB
Connolly, Peter Tiberius Claudius Maximus. Legionary. Oxford UP 1992 HB
Cottrell, Leonard Enemy of Rome Pan 1962 PB
Cottrell, Leonard Seeing Roman Britain Evans Brothers 1964 HB
Cottrell, Leonard The Great Invasion Evans Brothers 1958 HB
Cottrell, Leonard The Great Invasion Pan 1975 PB
Cunliffe, Barry Peoples of Roman Britain. Regni Duckworth 1973 PB
Cunliffe, Barry Iron Age Communities in Britain. RKP 1978 HB
Davies, Roy Service in the Roman Army. Edinburgh UP 1989 PB
Detsicas, Alec Peoples of Roman Britain. Cantiaci. Alan Sutton 1983 PB
Devijver, H Equestrian Officers of the Imperial Roman Army vol. 1 J.C. Gieben 1989 HB
Devijver, H Equestrian Officers of the Imperial Roman Army vol. 2 Franz Steiner 1992 HB
Divine, David The North-West Frontier of Rome Macdonald 1969 HB
Dorey, T.A. & Dudley, D.R. Rome Against Carthage Secker & Warburg 1971 HB
Dunnett, Rosalind Peoples of Roman Britain. Trinovantes Duckworth 1975 PB
Embleton, Ronald Hadrian's Wall Reconstructed Frank Graham 1978 PB
Embleton, Ronald Outpost Forts of Hadrian's Wall. Frank Graham 1983 PB
Embleton, Ronald Chesters to Carvoran Frank Graham 1983 PB
Embleton, Ronald South Shields, Wallsend & Newcastle. Frank Graham 1980 PB
Embleton, Ronald Benwell to Chesters. Frank Graham 1982 PB
Embleton, Ronald Hadrian's Wall in the Days of the Romans. Frank Graham 1990 HB
Embleton, Ronald Housesteads in the Days of the Romans. Frank Graham 1978 PB
Frere, Sheppard Britannia. A History of Roman Britain RKP 1978 HB
Geisert Arthur Roman Numerals I to M Houghton Mufflin 1996 PB
Gilliam, J.F. Roman Army Papers - Volume II J.C. Gieben 1986 HB
Goldsworthy, Adrian The Complete Roman Army Thames & Hudson 2003 HB
Goodman, Martin The Roman World 44 BC - AD 180 Routledge 2002 PB
Graham, Frank Dictionary of Roman Military Terms. Frank Graham 1981 PB
Graham, Frank Roman Cook Book Frank Graham 1983 PB
Grant, Michael The Gladiators Pelican 1971 PB
Hackett, Gen'l Sir John Editor Warfare in the Ancient World. Sidgwick & Jackson 1989 HB
Hadas, Moses Imperial Rome Time/Life Books 1966 HB
Hanson, W.S. Agricola and the Conquest of the North. Batsford 1991 PB
Herm, Gerhard The Celts BCA 1976 HB
Higham, Nicholas & Jones, Barri People of Roman Britain. Carvetii. Alan Sutton 1985 HB
Hill, David & Jesson, Margaret Eds. The Iron Age and its Hill-Forts. Southampton UAS 1971 HB
Hogg, A.H.A. The Hill-Forts of Britain Hart-Davis, MacGibbon 1975 HB
Holder, P.A. The Roman Army in Britain Batsford 1982 HB
Hyland, Ann Training the Roman Cavalry Alan Sutton 1993 HB
Issac, Benjamin The Near East Under Roman Rule Brill 1998 HB
Josephus The Jewish War Penquin 1981 PB
Kendrick, T.D. The Druids Frank Cass 1966 HB
Kennedy, David L. ed. The Roman Army in the East (collected papers) JRA 18 1996 HB
Keppie, Lawrence The Making of the Roman Army Batsford 1991 HB
Keppie, Lawrence Understanding Roman Inscriptions Batsford 2001 PB
Lambert, Nicole Das Militardiplom Theiss 2002 PB
Liddell Hart, B.H. Scipio Africanus. Greater than Napoleon. Greenhill Books 1992 HB
Lissner, Ivar Power and Folly. Story of the Caesars. Johnathan Cape 1958 HB
Livy The Early History of Rome Penquin PB
Livy Rome and Italy Penquin PB
Livy Rome and the Mediterranean Penquin PB
Livy The War With Hannibal. Penquin PB
Mannix, Daniel P. Those About To Die. Panther 1967 PB
Marsden, E.W. Greek & Roman Artillery. Historical Development Oxford UP 1969 HB
Marsden, E.W. Greek & Roman Artillery. Technical Treatises Oxford UP 1971 HB
Maxfield, Valerie A. Military Decorations of the Roman Army Batsford 1981 HB
Mommsen Theodor The Provinces of the Roman Empire Vol. 1 Ares 1909R PB
Mommsen Theodor The Provinces of the Roman Empire Vol. 2 Ares 1909R PB
Nilsson Martin P. Imperial Rome Schocken Books 1967 PB
Ordnance Survey Map of Southern Britain in the Iron Age. Ordnance Survey 1975 PB
Ordnance Survey Map of Roman Britain. (4th Edition) Ordnance Survey 1978 HB
Parker, H.M.D. The Roman Legions Ares 1928R HB
Peddie, John Invasion. Roman Conquest of Britain Alan Sutton 1987 HB
Peddie, John The Roman War Machine. Alan Sutton 1994 HB
Peterson, Daniel The Roman Legions. Recreated in Colour Photographs. Windrow & Greene 1992 PB
Pliny The Letters of the Younger Pliny Penquin 1963 PB
Plutarch The Fall of the Roman Republic (Six Lives) Penquin 1972 PB
Plutarch The Makers of Rome (Nine Lives) Penquin PB
Polybius The Rise of the Roman Empire Penquin 1979 PB
Poulton, Michael Life in the Time of Augustus and the Ancient Romans. Cherrytree 1992 HB
Ramm, Herman Peoples of Roman Britain. Parisi Duckworth 1978 PB
Richmond, I.A. Roman Britain Pelican 1975 PB
Robinson, H. Russell What Soldiers Wore on Hadrian's Wall Frank Graham 1976 PB
Ross, Anne Everyday Life of the Pagan Celts Carousel 1972 PB
Rowland, T.H. Short Guide to the Roman Wall Frank Graham 1973 PB
Rowland, T.H. Short Guide to the Roman Wall Frank Graham 1978 PB
Roxan Margaret M. Roman Military Diplomas 1954 - 1977 Insitute of Archaeology 1978 PB
Roxan Margaret M. Roman Military Diplomas 1978 - 1984 Insitute of Archaeology 1985 PB
Roxan Margaret M. Roman Military Diplomas 1985 - 1993 Insitute of Archaeology 1994 PB
Roxan Margaret M.& Holder P.A. Roman Military Diplomas 1994 - 2003 Insitute of Archaeology 2003 PB
Sallust The Jugurthine War & The Conspiracy of Cataline Penquin PB
Salway, Peter Oxford Illustrated History of Roman Britain. BCA 1993 HB
Salway, Peter Oxford History of England. Roman Britain. Oxford UP 1991 HB
Sandys, Sir John Edwin ed. A Companion to Latin Studies Cambridge UP 1925 HB
Scarre Chris Chronicle of the Roman Emperors Thames & Hudson 1995 HB
Scott, J.M. Boadicea Constable 1975 HB
Scottish Classics Group, The Ecce Romani - 6: Valour and Intrigue Oliver & Boyd 1977 PB
Scullard, H.H. Roman Britain. Outpost of the Empire. Thames & Hudson 1991 PB
Seutonius The Twelve Caesars Penquin 1987 PB
Shipway, George Imperial Governor. (A Novel) Peter Davies 1972 HB
Simkins, Michael The Roman Army from Caesar to Trajan Osprey 1976 PB
Simkins, Michael Warriors of Rome. Blandford 1993 PB
Simpson, D.P. Cassell's Latin Dictionary Caddell 1997 HB
Simpson, Grace Britons and the Roman Army Gregg Press 1964 HB
Spaul, John Ala 2 Nectoreca Press 1994 PB
Spaul, John Cohors 2 BAR 841 2000 PB
Tacitus The Agricola and the Germania Penquin 1975 PB
Tacitus Annals of Imperial Rome Penquin 1977 PB
Tacitus The Histories Penquin 1990 PB
Thomas, Nicholas Guide to Prehistoric England BCA 1976 HB
Todd, Malcolm Peoples of Roman Britain. Coritani Duckworth 1973 PB
Wacher, John Roman Britain Dent 1978 HB
Watson, G.R. The Roman Soldier Thames & Hudson 1982 HB
Webster, Graham The Roman Army Grosvenor Museum 1973 PB
Webster, Graham The Roman Imperial Army A & C Black 1974 HB
Webster, Graham The Roman Invasion of Britain BCA 1980 HB
Webster, Graham Rome Against Caratacus BCA 1981 HB
Webster, Graham Boudica. British Revolt against Rome. AD 60 Batsford 1978 HB
Webster, Graham Peoples of Roman Britain. Cornovii Duckworth 1975 PB
Webster, Graham & Dudley, Donald R. The Roman Conquest of Britain Batsford 1965 HB
Webster, Graham & Dudley, Donald R. The Roman Conquest of Britain Pan 1973 PB
Webster, Graham & Dudley, Donald R. The Rebellion of Boudicca KRP 1963 HB
Weigall, Arthur Wanderings in Roman Britain. Thornton Butterworth 1938 HB
Welch, Col. George Patrick Britannia. Roman Conquest & Occupation of Britain Wesleyan UP 1965 HB
Wheeler, Sir Mortimer Hill-Forts of Northern France. OUP 1957 HB
Wilcox Peter Rome's Enemies: Germanics and Dacians Osprey MAA #129 1988 PB
Wilkes, John The Roman Army Cambridge UP 1976 PB
Wilkes, J.J. Documenting the Roman Army. BICS #82 BICS. 2003 PB
Wilson, Roger Roman Forts Bergstrom & Boyle 1980 PB
Windrow, M. & McBride, Angus Imperial Rome at War Concorde 1996 PB
Do you see what I mean, posts don't like spreadsheets. The odd book without a date means I don't have it yet.

Perhaps you could give me the benefit of your advice? What would you suggest?

Vale

Late but never - L. Aufidius Pantera - 01-19-2006

Ah. Here I barge...

first for databases on inscription, have you people checked out Heidelberg?
Its no more complete than the Frankfurt one, but using both in parallel seems to get most things covered... the address is

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institute/sonst/adw/edh/

As for your list of publications. Wow... but if you are looking for more diplomas, try for example

Römische Militärdiplome und Entlassungsurkunden in der Sammlung des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums / Barbara Pferdehirt
Mainz, RGZM (2004) ISBN 3-88467-086-7

- she fanatically collects these things and they are all hidden in an underground vault. But these two green monster books show you all the stuff she sits on!!! Its in German, but for looking at the actual diplomata surely it doesn't matter what language the book is in ;-) )

C.

Re: Late but never - Spedius - 01-19-2006

Quote:Ah. Here I barge...
first for databases on inscription, have you people checked out Heidelberg?
Its no more complete than the Frankfurt one, but using both in parallel seems to get most things covered... the address is
http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institute/sonst/adw/edh/
As for your list of publications. Wow... but if you are looking for more diplomas, try for example
Römische Militärdiplome und Entlassungsurkunden in der Sammlung des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums / Barbara Pferdehirt
Mainz, RGZM (2004) ISBN 3-88467-086-7
- she fanatically collects these things and they are all hidden in an underground vault. But these two green monster books show you all the stuff she sits on!!! Its in German, but for looking at the actual diplomata surely it doesn't matter what language the book is in ;-)
C.

Ave Christoph,

Many thanks for your message.

My book list is the result of many years of searching and is far from complete. I've reached a stage where my desire for new books cannot be matched by my ability to pay for them. Therefore I have to be far more selective about the books that I buy in the future.

I've read a few snippets of information about the above mentioned books but so far I've not tried to buy them. Have you seen or do own copies of the books? Do they contain the Latin texts for each diploma? Do they contain diplomas not yet published in the RMD series?

Do you know what the literal translation of the title of these books is?

I'm assuming your knowledge and interests follow a similar path as do mine, for which I apologise. Any details you have, no matter how sparse, would be most welcome. I've checked through my copies of JRS XCIV for 2004 and XCV for 2005 but couldn't find a review. It wouldn't be in Britannia, I suppose, as it's unrelated. Do you know where I might find a review?

What interests do you have?

Vale

PS. Wasn't L. Aufidius Pantera the commander of the British fleet c.60 AD?

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Praefectusclassis - 01-19-2006

The litteral translation is Roman Military Diplomas and Discharge certificates in the collection of the Roman-Germanic Museum in Mainz.

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - Spedius - 01-19-2006

Quote:The litteral translation is Roman Military Diplomas and Discharge certificates in the collection of the Roman-Germanic Museum in Mainz.

Ave Jasper,

Many thanks for the information.

I do admire the ability of most Continental Europeans to be able to read, write and speak more than one language. I have major problems with just one.

I'll check the web for the German title and/or ISBN number and see what comes up.

**Update**

I found the books, they would cost me €54 including postage, that's about £37. I would buy them both if I could only find out more information about them. Can anyone help?

Regards

Vale

Re: Is there a list of all known Roman Military Diplomas? - L. Aufidius Pantera - 01-19-2006

Jim,

OK. You have done your homework. I am officially impressed. L.A. Pantera is indeed the only known Classis Britannica commander - known from an altar in Lympne... but that's beside the point.

As this slightly geeky thing might indicate, my main interest are Roman Fleets, but all things Roman (preferably military) are good as far as I can see!

As for review, I think the Pferdehirt volumes are too new to have been reviewed, but if so it'll probably be in a German journal. I've got copies of both, but most libraries around you should have them... - where in the UK are you? - Sadly my copies are currently in Munich and I am not, so I can give you little detail.

But if you are stuck with books, have you tried joining the Roman Society? They have most stuff and are not too expensive - plus you can get Britannia and JRS delivered. All major books on epigraphy and diplomata will be in their library in Senate House at UCL (just behind the British Museum)...

There's another quite good one by her on diplomata called
Die Rolle des Militärs für den sozialen Aufstieg in der römischen Kaiserzeit / Barbara Pferdehirt
Mainz, RGZM (2002) ISBN 3-88467-069-7

- more in German (interesting text, actually, but very complicated and slightly convoluted) but has all diplomata listed in full (some are not in RMD)

Loads more out there, so keep looking ;-) )
C.