Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
I think there are several long threads on this forum discussing the same thing.

It is true that the original pieces show a lot of imperfections. So do the Indian pieces. Does this mean that it makes the Indian pieces authentic? No. The problem is that a lot of the imperfections on the Indian stuff are easily identifiable as toolmarks, caused by modern tools or a modern fabrication proces (I really regret the decision by Deepeeka to start stamping out helmet bowls instead of welding two pieces together. They used to to that and the bowl were more oval. The rest of the details are a lot better now, but the round bowls and the short cheekguards ruin everything for me). Imperfections that are not the same as the imperfections you find on the original pieces.

Matt Lukes once told me that getting the imperfections in there is one of the hardest things to do for a craftsman.

I fully agree with Crispvs. I have 3 White Rose helmets. One completely by White Rose and slightly adapted by me, the other two partialy made by White Rose and combined with other components. Cheekguards are not perfectly aligned, rivets are sometimes off center. Perfect imperfections.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pom - by Marcus Mummius - 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,269 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,945 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,718 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs