Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
Quote:The costs of helmets at http://www.replik-online.de blow my mind. £1400 for an Imperial-Gallic helmet? Even more for a 3rdC heddernheim!

If they can charge such prices, I guess people, somewhere, are buying them. I say this because, perhaps with my untrained eye, they look as well made and accurate as helmets sold elsewhere for a tenth of the cost.
Actually, stuff like this is, to ME, wrong. WAY wrong. When you look at the original helmets, esp. the Gallic "G" on Roman Hideout, that thing is crooked as a politician's heart. Modern stuff is WAY, WAY too nice and pretty. Too uniform. I know, some will hate me for saying that, but I just think that the real stuff was kinda crappy and if we had a time machine, modern reenactors would NEVER buy the stuff they had then... they want "pretty" and "uniform" and not looking like it was beat out in a shop in India -- actually stuff from India is way to nice too. Nero would JUMP at the chance to outfit his legions w/ that stuff.
My 2 silver pennies on this. ~Marsh
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD. - by DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS - 05-29-2012, 04:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,305 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,960 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,780 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs