Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laudes (karma) system
There is currently no viable (ie none that when installed would not be a risk to the proper working of the board) karma/laudes system for Phpbb 3.0, but it is in the works and in fact nearing completion. If and when that point is reached, I'll test it and when proven safe, release it for usage. Everyone will then restart at 0.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Laudes have been reinstalled on the test-template version of this site (same RAT, different look, for admins only). It seems to work well, so will be reintroduced shortly.
Two changes:
- it seems to be too complicated to rip out the possibility of decreasing someone's laudes, so I'm not going to
- you will now have to write a short comment to explain why you are awarding laudes or taking them away.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:for admins only

mwah. Sad cry:
:lol:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Will the comments be visible to the readers? Or just to the admins?

I think the comment is a good idea, particularly if the - button is used. That way, it will be more likely that the "lauder" will be more careful. I suppose a comment of X would be allowed, though, so it doesn't matter that much if people want to be contrary, they just will. But of course, we have no members like that on RAT, so we shouldn't worry.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Actually, the comments can be seen on everyone´s profile. Now I´m stuck with the way of giving "karma"... :?
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
But where has it gone? i'd like to give one to John Conyers for his excellent Greek cavalry impression.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Due to misuse we have instituted a minimal number of karma points one has to have to be able to award them. Fair, balanced and wonderful? No and I'm open to suggestions for better solutions.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Actually, that sounds both fair and balanced. Rather like living in a Polis...

I'll pine for the day when I have enough, then.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Hi Jasper,

I don't find your new system fair at all. I would love to give Duncan Campbell a karma point for a lovely discussion we had, but it seems I have to little karma to award him one. I understand that the system is open to misuse, but your system leads to 'inbread' (only the ones already in the club, can award karma, and start forming an elite, like some emperor judging who is worthy of praise and who is not). Couldn't you change your system so it takes into account how many posts you made, before being able to award karma? By the way, how much karma do you need to be able to award some?

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Hi Hans
I recognize that's exactly the problem. You need 5 karma points at the moment and I'll check if the posting minimum can be applied. That's a good idea.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
A posting minimum would be a good idea. A better idea would be to get rid of the negative karma.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Due to misuse we have instituted a minimal number of karma points one has to have to be able to award them. Fair, balanced and wonderful? No and I'm open to suggestions for better solutions.

That's why I couldn't give Graham Sumner a good karma point. And I was wondering how this damn thing works and if I'm again a computer dummy in finding this out. Don't think it's a good idea that those who already have five karma points (where did they get them from, someone had to be the first with five karma points and how did he/she get them?) so I think everybood should be able to give karma points like with the old system and positive ones only.
Quote: (where did they get them from, someone had to be the first with five karma points and how did he/she get them?)
I'm afraid that's due to the moderators. Who can choose between 1 and 5 points to award each time.

Quote:so I think everybood should be able to give karma points like with the old system and positive ones only.
Seconded.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I am a computer dummy. :oops: Now you mods kindly gave me five karma points but I still can't give someone else some. How does that work? :roll:
Quote:I am a computer dummy. :oops: Now you mods kindly gave me five karma points but I still can't give someone else some. How does that work? :roll:

Svenja, you surely aren't. It seems they switched it off totally till they found a fair solution.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Karma Change Disabled for this User" Jona Lendering 7 3,202 07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Ermm.. what are laudes? Sachiko 4 3,022 06-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Demetrios Vlattera
  \'Karma\' Praefectusclassis 51 17,998 04-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Last Post: tlclark