Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Hand Guard/Glove to carry Scutum
Quote:Alex, isn't this a different sort of shield? Looks like a two loop grip. That's not the same thing, or the same carry problem. Or am I missing something?

The shiled is certainly different from the rectangular scutum, but the difference is irrelevant to the point I was making earlier in the thread.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
OK, I admit I have not carried a two point shield like that. I was just thinking the support might be different. But again, the pain in the hand is real, regardless of anything else concerning the shield...and the stress pain in the elbow if you carry it very far. Must have taken the Roman recruit quite some time to overcome the training.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
There is the other side of the argument about the Roman scutum where past re-enactors have used the idea of the size of the Dura shield as the bench mark thus creating a huge 40 by 40 inch chunk of wood.
I tend to think that this idea has been over estimated and were the original battle types only around 36 inch, which gets rid of a lot of wood to carry around and of course makes the whole thing much more easy to use. Just a bit of food for thought for we are told that these guys were much smaller than the average size soldier today
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier for Scutum Carry Sling and Hardware Antoninus05 25 6,390 03-24-2011, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Bow glove Marcus Mummius 4 1,664 08-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Robert
  Leather faced scutum Marcus Caecilius Avitus 12 5,274 03-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus