Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double belt apron question.
I was just looking at the stele again and wondered, have any of the large apron top plates have been found, like this one?
[url:1aqf1ukp]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/stories/imagebase/Unknowns/lg_unkMilesMainzIId1.jpg[/url]
Chris Wyre.
Quote:I was just looking at the stele again and wondered, have any of the large apron top plates have been found, like this one?
[url:bw0y14j6]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/stories/imagebase/Unknowns/lg_unkMilesMainzIId1.jpg[/url]

Well that assumes it's a metal plate. There are others in the Imagebase that you should look for, which seem to have diamond pattern 'quilting' perhaps. I'm of a mind to suggest they're leather. I even had the wacko idea it may be a purse as it's an ideal place to store your cash - even if you'd taken it off for a spell, try stealing from it without setting off the attached alarm bells, better known as the apron fittings. Smile
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
There's one belt plate from Vindonissa that's a monster at about 55mm in width, and another that's around 50mm, but the vast majority seem to be the somewhat smaller 30-36mm range (not including the narrower Augustan types that is).
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Matt, are you talking about the large horizontal rectanguler piece at the top of the apron, spanning all straps between the belt itself and the apron straps?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9 a.d. belt question Romulus 1 1,145 06-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Belt Apron Terminals - Construction Advice. Titus Marius Secundus 2 1,284 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus
  placement of the apron on a belt Titus Marius Secundus 22 3,908 10-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius