Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North British Warrior
Quote:Especially if that soft southern dux bellorum had any name other than Vortigen, right? :wink:
Vortigen? Who's that? :twisted: Sounds familiar, but not quite what I had in mind. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, at least we know Vortigern's name. Oh. No, we don't, do we? :oops:

We have only one primary source and all we can be sure it from he wrote was that he had an axe to grind. And grind it, he did. Tongue

This is sooooo frustrating.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:Well, at least we know Vortigern's name. Oh. No, we don't, do we? :oops: .
Oh yes we do. Beyond doubt.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
What was his name? I've always read that Voritgern was his title, like "high king" (but not). :?:

Ron Andrea
Vortigern was his name. maybe not his given name, but it's not a title of sorts. Sure, it has a meaning, but we know of at least 8 other Vortigerns, all common people.

My theory is that his given name was Vitalinus, and that he took the the name Vortigern upon accession. Like Augustus. Or Stalin.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote: Sure, it has a meaning, .

That drives me mad, when people say "Oh Vortigern/Vortipor/Hengist/Horsa can't have been an actual name, it can't be because it means xyz"...

ALL NAMES MEAN SOMETHING!

<Slaps forehead repeatedly with hand>
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:ALL NAMES MEAN SOMETHING!

Wendy doesn't :roll:

My own name means "High", "Mighty", "Strong Wolf" or just plain very powerful. I was a big baby!!!
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:
Medicus matt:3pb7if9n Wrote:ALL NAMES MEAN SOMETHING!

Yes it does. It's either derived from Gwendydd (white/fair day) or Gwendolyn (white/fair....something). Contrary to popular belief it does appear (albeit rarely) as a name before JM Barrie used it in Peter Pan.

One of those things I've looked at in the past, as my gandmother-in-law is one of the women credited with making it a popular girls name in the early 20th century.

Mine means 'Gift from Jehova'....which must have come as a dreadful disappointment to any believers out there.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:
Vortigern Studies:1twfwjvn Wrote:Sure, it has a meaning, .
That drives me mad, when people say "Oh Vortigern/Vortipor/Hengist/Horsa can't have been an actual name, it can't be because it means xyz"...
ALL NAMES MEAN SOMETHING!
<Slaps forehead repeatedly with hand>

Stop hitting yourself Matt, you were a tad hasty chastizing your poor head. Tongue

I never said anything of the sort, it was a reply about a comment about Vortigern being a title, which I am of the opinion that it is not.
Of course each name has a meaning, but in this case I was thinking of the 'title'like' meaning that so often leads people to conclude that Vortigern was a title. Add a title and you can multiply - one Vortigern becomes two, one Ambrosius becomes a Druid-like 'Emrys' class with many members, Arthur becomes one of a whole herd...

OK, OK, I got carried away there.
I was referring to the 'political' meaning of the name Vortigern. I referred to Augustus and Stalin for a reason, neither were given names but taken when the individual became powerful. Atatürk is another one, or Dzengiz Khan. Political names, but no pure titles.

Hengist was the name of a normal person. I share your view about people who see Hengist as something legendary or godlike - as if Saxons never used animals in personal names. Wulf comes to mind.. or Swine.. or the famous king Elephant. :twisted:

Vortipor was also a personal name, not a title. Interestingly, it's almost the same as Vortimer, both are renedered Gwrthefyr in Middle Welsh. Neither are titles.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hey, Matt

What about Peter Pan? :lol:

My own last name means "wry-mouth" or "crooked-mouth." As for the "Alanus" part?-- I'm not sure of the Celtic context. I think it was a roebuck, the same way that old guy was called Horsa.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:I never said anything of the sort, it was a reply about a comment about Vortigern being a title, which I am of the opinion that it is not.

Oh, I know that YOU know...I wasn't talking about you. Big Grin
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

As usual, Robert's right.

Been doing research elsewhere, not only do my sources support Robert's assertion that Vortigern was Vortigern's name (allowing for the variations of time and language :roll: ), but that--assuming he really existed--he suffered a "bad press" with succeeding historians trying to outdo one another in condemning him, his lifestyle, and his supposed role in the fall of sub-Roman Britain to the Anglo-Saxons.

Ron Andrea
Quote:As usual, Robert's right.

Been doing research elsewhere, not only do my sources support Robert's assertion that Vortigern was Vortigern's name (allowing for the variations of time and language :roll: ), but that--assuming he really existed--he suffered a "bad press" with succeeding historians trying to outdo one another in condemning him, his lifestyle, and his supposed role in the fall of sub-Roman Britain to the Anglo-Saxons.

Don't get too caried away and start making any 'factual' claims there Ron. Like pretty much everything to do with the Matter of Britain there are very few facts, merely an awful lot of suposition, conjecture and theory.

'Your' sources....you've got your own? Confusedhock:
Where did you buy your time machine ...or have you been conducting seances? :wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:Oh, I know that YOU know...I wasn't talking about you. Big Grin
Well, you were quoting me, so... :wink: I hope your head doesn't hurt. Tongue

Quote:
Ron Andrea:37rdizk9 Wrote:As usual, Robert's right.
Don't get too caried away and start making any 'factual' claims there Ron.
I completely agree with Ron. Facts are facts, hee hee. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Conal:14bpgtx3 Wrote:
Medicus matt:14bpgtx3 Wrote:ALL NAMES MEAN SOMETHING!

Yes it does. It's either derived from Gwendydd (white/fair day) or Gwendolyn (white/fair....something). Contrary to popular belief it does appear (albeit rarely) as a name before JM Barrie used it in Peter Pan.

One of those things I've looked at in the past, as my gandmother-in-law is one of the women credited with making it a popular girls name in the early 20th century.

And there I was thinking it was a square burger fast food chain!! :o roll: :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North British Horses Nathan Ross 24 4,331 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius