Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request re. Late Roman helmet from Halmyris
Hi all,

Looking through the program of XVI. ROMEC 2007 I found the following:

M. Zahariade: A Repaired 4th Century Helmet from Halmyris. Fault of
Fabrication or Traces of Combat?

I remember to have read a report on Halmyris in which Mr. Zahariade mentioned in passing a late roman helmet very similar to the Concesti helmet but I have never actually seen a picture of it.

Does someone have a picture or can someone point me to an article or book where I can find pictures?

Thank you!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
never heard of it before, sorry, and I've mostly seen or been altered to all existing images of helmets. This seems to be a new one.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Salve,

Here’s an article referring to the site in Romania with the excavation of the ruins at Halmyris; sorry there are photos but, not of the helmet.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... il30p.html

You could write to the group "International
Roman Military Equipment Conference
in Xanten (Germany)" - their email address is [email protected]

They are the one’s who ran a tour there recently and ask them if anyone took photos during the 12:10-12:30 PM time frame of the helmet in question. (that's when the group was scheduled to examine the helmet)

Or you could call them…

The contact is Organisation ROMEC XVI / 2007
Dr. Hans-Joachim Schalles / Stefan Schepp
Trajanstraße 4 - D46509 Xanten
Tel. 00 49 (28 01) 7 12-0 - Fax 00 49 (28 01) 71 21 49
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Thanks to both of you.

I have also done a little extra research. The helmet is mentioned by Zahariade in Roman Frontier Studies XV where he states that it is similar to the Concesti helmet. I have also found a reference to another article by Zahariade:

Zahariade, Early and Late Roman Fortification at Independenta, Tulcca County Dacia N.S. 31, 1987, 87.96,97-106,

maybe it is mentioned there.

However, I will not be able to look up the article at my local library for the next weeks. I was hoping that somebody who attended ROMEC in Xanten may have information on the helmet.

Thank you for your feedback
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,543 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,844 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria caiusbeerquitius 115 30,088 07-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Urselius