Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inexpensive way to add an Eagle Head handle to a gladius
Slave,

I picked up a hardwood cane on EBay for $26.00.

[Image: eIMG_4806.jpg]

I had to use my Dremel to cut out the Pummel to get to the hex nut and removed it (how they got it in there I have no idea!)

[Image: eIMG_4808.jpg]

The Pummel just screws off but...

[Image: eIMG_4809.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
... but the bone handle had to be sawed off. There was a hard putty like substance within the round bone handle to keep it from turning.

[Image: eIMG_4812.jpg]

[Image: eIMG_4814.jpg]

Initially the eagle head didn't quite line up with the hilt so I had to take a sander and file to it to make it match up.

[Image: eIMG_4836.jpg]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Then I drilled a hole in the eagle head with a drill press, placed some JB Wield in the hole, added some Elmer's Glue to the bottom of the eagle head handle and the top of the hilt, let dry over night and... that's it!

[Image: eIMG_4867.jpg]

[Image: eIMG_4864.jpg]

BTW: this was the original Deepeeka Mainz gladius I started with, before my modifications... before I did the embossing work, enameling, and of course the eagles head...

[Image: IMG_3807.JPG]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Since I now have an eagle head on my gladius... I think I'll go with a more Hellenstic style hilt and handle for my Parazonium... I'll base it on this one... a Parazonium of Germanicus Caesar

[Image: Parazonium_of_Germanicus.jpg]

I already drew out the measurements, I'm going to use 11 gauge steel for this short sword, with a full tang. I'll have to fabricate the rather unique scabbard but for now... it's time to work on the blade:

[Image: IMG_4775.JPG]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Salve,

Well, I've started cutting out the Parazonium from 11 gauge sheet metal... I think I'll go with a full tang on it.

Also, I blended the hilt and eagle head handle so it's a better transition and updated the photos above... comments?

[Image: IMG_4781.JPG]

[Image: IMG_4783.JPG]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Looking great!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That's cool man...what gladius or sculpture did you copy that from?

Legion: TBD
Salve Magnus,

I based replacing my handle with an eagle's head on a few sculptures... such as the one below (later than my time period I know and these are most likely spartha's)

[Image: det.jpg]

Also, the eagles head handle is featured on quite a few swords on statues, often carried by Emperors. This specific example is a short sword or Parazonium:

[Image: Parazoniummaureliusloricatadet5a.jpg]

Here's another from Tarbicus:
[url:79bemw64]http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/ymu/sqhm/alf/ogz/AF26.jpg[/url]

This example of either a 'Roman arsenal' or 'Galic weapons cache' also shows eagle's heads on two swords at approximately 8 & 9 O'Clock, these 'could' be gladiuses with eagles heads. The swords in the upper right are almost certainly gladiuses with the more common grip and pummel.

[Image: Parazoniums_orange02840.jpg]

In all honestly though, I haven't come across a gladius with an eagles head for sure. But there is at least some evidence for having an eagle's head on a Roman Sword... in sculpture anyways.
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Wow, that's very resourceful, Anthony !

The length also looks perfect Big Grin

I think I may have spotted a couple of gravestones that show common soldiers with eagle-headed swords.

If anyone has Roman Military Equipment, 2nd Edition, you can see for yourselves on page 153. I direct your attention to figures 2 and 4.

Okay, figure 4 looks like centurion with his vine-staff but, still, I've never seen anyone lower than the rank of Emperor with an eagle-headed gladius. Confusedhock:

If I'm right, then the commonest soldier could carry one as well. Both gravestones are from Rome.

~ Theo
Jaime
I was going to ask about that, Theo. I always thought eagle headed gladii looked good and toyed with the idea of making one of my own. Of course, only if the lower ranks could have them. Perhaps they're marks of distinction?
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Ave,

Thanks Theo! I do try to be as resourceful as possible! :wink:

Joel Boynton said:
Quote:I always thought eagle headed gladii looked good and toyed with the idea of making one of my own. Of course, only if the lower ranks could have them. Perhaps they're marks of distinction?

Joel- You present a good question.

First and foremost, please check with your Centurion or Legion commander and make sure that they will accept an eagle’s head on your gladius.

My personal opinion is, the overwhelming evidence shows that the vast majority, if not possible all, legionary would not have carried an eagle headed sword. Conjecturally, it is very possible that, in rare instances, they could have; as for why…

As to whether or not an ancient legionary solider ‘could’ carry a gladius with an eagle head, I have never read any ancient text where it said they were forbidden, nor have I read any ancient text that stated they could or did.

As far as ancient evidence, I have seen and heard of the following… grave stones of Centurions with eagle headed swords (that is most likely the same reference noted above by Theo) and seen them in the hands of Emperors (typically on a short sword called a Parazonium above) and I have seen sculptures of a weapons cache (also above) which show both standard issue gladiuses along with two gladiuses with eagles heads, and also two other Greek swords with eagles heads. UPDATE: The image in the post below, supplied by Jona, shows Emperor Philip the Arab, who at the time of the sculpture was the Prefect of Gordian the third’s Praetorian Guard, carrying an eagle headed sword. So, unless all the art references are incorrect, then eagle headed swords existed and were carried by Centurions, Prefects, Emperors, etc at least from time to time.

During the Republic (pre-Marius) the armies were made up of mostly the upper class that purchased their own equipment. I would speculate that a wealthy family could hand down armor (as any other) but, that armor might be more elaborate. Of course families handed down armor throughout the history of Roman, not just in the Republican period, and any solider could find or plunder an eagle headed sword during any quest.

There is also cost to consider as well. It would take a more skilled craftsman to fabricate an eagle head handle, and make it look good, as opposed to a standard issue handle. The better looking handle would most likely take longer to make, if given the choice most (with the money to do so) would be willing to pay more for the ‘cooler’ looking handle, and thusly… a gladius with an eagle’s head would cost more. The cost could have been more than double a standard issue sword. Just think, if Deepeeka offers a Mainz Galdius for $120 they would most likely be asking $199 to $225 for the one with an eagle’s head.

The biggest problem with a legionary carrying an eagle head sword, and most purists will also note, is that the ancient evidence does not support many various styles of handles, some minor differences here and there but most swords, as well as pugios, were all very similar in style during their eras, Pompeii style, Mainz style, Spartha style, etc. It was the scabbard details, specifically the plates that were very often customized, not so much the sword blades or the handles. Many were plain, most likely due to cost, whereas others on display today in museums are very elaborate.

As for having an eagle head sword given to a legionary as a mark of distinction, that does make logical sense however; here again, I have never read of such a thing. Promotions to the Avicardi after 16 years of service, disks awarded to Centurions, land given to veterans, etc but I haven’t read of swords or swords with eagle’s heads being given out though.

In closing my personal opinion is agian, the overwhelming evidence shows that the vast majority, if not possible all, legionary would not have carried an eagle headed sword. Conjecturally, it is very possible that, in rare instances, they could have and did.
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Quote:I based replacing my handle with an eagle's head on a few sculptures... such as the one below (later than my time period I know and these are most likely spartha's)

Here's another one:
[Image: bishapur_relief_2_philip.jpg]
This is a Sassanian relief from Bishapur (Iran). The man kneeling down is the Roman emperor Philip the Arab (more...).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
[Image: meijel2006_8.jpg]

Aitor, would you please upload a closer view of your fantastic eagle spatha?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:As for having an eagle head sword given to a legionary as a mark of distinction, that does make logical sense however; here again, I have never read of such a thing. Promotions to the Avicardi after 16 years of service, disks awarded to Centurions, land given to veterans, etc but I haven’t read of swords or swords with eagle’s heads being given out though.

In closing my personal opinion is agian, the overwhelming evidence shows that the vast majority, if not possible all, legionary would not have carried an eagle headed sword. Conjecturally, it is very possible that, in rare instances, they could have and did.

That was the impression I had also, Antonius. Maybe it was one of those unwritten rules. And at the moment, I don't have a Centurion to ask, as our legion is in its infancy. I'll check around with those of other units.

Oh well, maybe I'll make one just to have....but then I'd want to wear it Smile
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:I don't have a Centurion to ask, as our legion is in its infancy. I'll check around with those of other units.

Ave,

When you say “our legionâ€
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a gladius handle Francisco Gutierrez 1 1,147 01-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Inexpensive Die-Cut Lorica segmentata Lobate Hinges availabl Matt Lukes 8 3,545 08-23-2015, 12:42 AM
Last Post: mjursic
  Bone for Gladius handle lyuv 8 5,726 11-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Crispvs