Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scepticism about Vegetius\' analysis of the Late Roman Army?
Quote:As far as I know "vir illustris et comes" means that he was a nobleman.But why do people think Vegetius' "Epitoma rei militaris" are an evidence for the decline of the roman army?In my eyes he describes a very well trained and disciplined army!
Well, doesn't he complain about how the soldiers of his day are worse than their predecessors and need reform? On the other hand, complaining about how things these days were clearly worse than their predecessors was a popular pastime for Roman intellectuals of any period. Which goes back to the question of how much we can trust him on...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Scepticism about Vegetius\' analysis of the Late Roman Army? - by Sean Manning - 07-17-2007, 01:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and the later Roman army: common mistakes? Robert Vermaat 2 198 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,854 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Chemical Analysis on Roman Maile Rings Jozef W 4 1,513 08-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Pop Alexandra