Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Quote:The Corbridge segs in order to fit have to be crossed though not as severely as illustrated.
Finally you accept the evidence - but then why choose to ignore it?

I do not accept the evdence as interpreted by some.

Quote:I'll make full replicas at the end of the month. No time now.

"Replicas" of what? You have spent most of the thread completely ignoring the evidence and dismissing the Corbridge evidence as untrustworthy junk. Now you will make a replica!

Replicas of the Hoard. As I've said I've made segs for small bodies and they come closest to the Hoard and do not cross as severely as some have illustrated.

I still believe that the Hoard might be useless to them junk. Buried to be retrieved later? Nope, buried to be hidden from scavengers. Can't burn it, not worth carting away... so, you bury it.

Quote:Boy that is some stretchy leather you use.

Not at all. Stretched out over years of use and maintenance.. SCA combat, re-enacement.. about 8 years I think.

Quote:You have presented absolutley no evidence that anything you make "fits better",

I said I'd post stuff in a few weeks. I though that was clear?

Quote:even allowing for very stretchy leather!

As part of the design? Absolutely not. Stretchy leather and leather under stress is weak. Torque it against the grain and it gets weaker.

Quote:In any event there has to be a point of reference to determine what may be "better". Maybe you could post some pictures of the Corbridge segs you made closely following the evidence and compare these with your so-called improved versions? We may then be able to determine what you mean by "better".

My better, is my interpertation of the evidence based on use and function isn't it? Someone else may interpret it differently.

The small segs I've made that more closely resemble the Hoard are no longer available. Made those a decade ago?

And as I've said I'm making a small seg now. It more closely follows the Hoard than others we've made. And as I've said I'll make repicas of the Hoard and post all.

edited for violation of personal attack rules.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by Hibernicus - 07-03-2007, 06:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,529 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,318 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,809 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs