Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Quote:Matt thanks for your reconstuction in paper Big Grin ? hmm.

Lorica segmentata papyrus- a new form! :lol: Yes, the hinge on the Bank of London breastplate fragment is angled 'outboard' slightly, but I don't see how this can be taken as evidence of anything to do with the plate's hang angle- the other half of the hinge could have been equally twisted on the mid-collar plate but the plates still line up straight, and anyway, it's mainly the angle at which the mid-collar plate is angled out from the upper back plate, and the fact that the breastplates are narrower than the back plates that results in their having to be angled to meet. The fact remians that the 6 articulated artifacts from Corbridge ALL require the breastplates to be angled to meet. Because these are a mixture of A and B types and there is some variation in plate size and shape among them while the overall shape of the unit is the same, it's difficult to see how it would be anything but the actual design.

Quote:On the surface finish,David ask me what my thoughts were on rolling mills and I agreed with him hence my use of the term modern rolling.I have in my work shop pre 1879 wrought iron, with the milling scale on while the surface is smooth it has slight imperfections in it ,but they will not come out on camera Sad D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Very cool Tony- and indeed it's in part the marks on the surfaces of various sheet metal artifacts that first got me to thinking that rolling was possibly the cause.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,529 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,318 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,808 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs