Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Ambrosius,

In answer to your first point I cannot argue about the position of the breast plate strap fixings, as I note in my previous posts. I do not agree about undue stress because of the difference in angle. In very simple terms the stress is in actual fact the weight of the girth hoops which is the same in either case. The leather straps are flexible enough to cope with the angle and in fact the stress is at a "rotational" point (the leather will move in any direction and take that load no problem), very similar to a pin joint in modern structural mechanics. The position of the neck opening gets raised by the "padding" in either case. In biomechanical terms surely it makes more sense to follow the natural shape of the shoulders and make the armour fit that? (A modern concept I know but empirical observation by the designers/makers are likely to have come to the same conclusion I suggest). The evidence (and indeed Robinson's reconstructions) seems to indicate that this is indeed the case. Wearing padding to "correct" the human anatomy to fit your armour just makes no sense IMHO. The closer it follows the human form the more comfortable (and natural) it will be 8) .

In answer to your second point I would completely disagree with that - see Matt L's picture in previous posts. The neck aperture does not open up at all, and in fact this is something one sees a lot in modern re-enactors segs that have the vertical join in breast plates I would argue.

In answer to your final point I assume this is based upon your experience of actual combat? All of the speculation (and this is all it is unless we have some evidence) about "sliced" leather straps assume that you have dropped your shield and are now fighting chest open to the enemy which seems to be completely at odds with the way we understand Roman Legionaries fought. It seems that the accepted current modern thinking about the seg (in all its forms) is that it is primarily designed to withstand downward blows to the upper body? The Corbridge A seems to have seen active service for at least 50 years (if not longer) so it would seem to have been fairly successful, and indeed seems to have replace the Kalkreise type (also external leather straps) which may have seen a similar service period.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by sulla felix - 06-26-2007, 04:54 AM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,576 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,350 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,847 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs