Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medica II
After being inspired by Brennivs posting I spent a couple hours in the shop making a few pieces to display in our camp. All pieces are based on various originals with my own added decoration. The 2nd scalpel from the left has a bone handle. I did not have a piece of brass/bronze appropriate for this style so I used bone.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p309 ... 020595.jpg
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
looks great!

Wouldn't the scalpel with the bone handle be a bit more dificult to cauterize? The bone might burn...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Pavlvs Confusedhock: fab I am glade it has inspired you ,great work I also made a scalpel with a bone handle,I hope you will continue to make bits and pieces and add to this set, again great work Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:looks great!

Wouldn't the scalpel with the bone handle be a bit more dificult to cauterize? The bone might burn...

I think it would burn.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Marcvs they had special cauterize kit , I must admit I have never read that they used scalpels for that type of work.
[Image: medical002.jpg]
The two objects on the right of the pointy spoon are some of the types of cauterizing gear they had.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Damn, I meant something else I think :-) ) . I meant heating the scalpel to kill all the germs on it before entering the patient's body... I don't know what the correct term is in english...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
No problem Marcvs :lol: how ever they did have forms of sterilizing fluids also if you havent heard of our MRSA bug we have a problem with hospitals are turning back to copper /bronze equipment ,bugs cannot live on the metal Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Great work Paul :!:
Lucius Domitius Aurelianus
Patrik Pföstl

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.roemer.ch.vu">http://www.roemer.ch.vu

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php">http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php

[Image: o3.gif]

Quote:No problem Marcvs :lol: how ever they did have forms of sterilizing fluids also if you havent heard of our MRSA bug we have a problem with hospitals are turning back to copper /bronze equipment ,bugs cannot live on the metal Big Grin

That's very interesting! What was used as sterilizing fluid (vineagar perhaps)?

They would have to beware for Cladosporium acris though :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi Paul,

nice work, my friend!

Quote:The 2nd scalpel from the left has a bone handle. I did not have a piece of brass/bronze appropriate for this style so I used bone.

Scalpels (of this type) seem to have been made universally with copper alloy handles, I'm afraid. At least I haven't seen anything else among the couple dozen finds I know of.
Wow Paul, that really looks good. A laudes well-deserved.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Damn, I meant something else I think :-) ) . I meant heating the scalpel to kill all the germs on it before entering the patient's body... I don't know what the correct term is in english...

There certainly was no sterilizing of chirurgical equipment at the time - if you don't know about something like sterility, then there's no point in sterilization or disinfection either.
It was known (from experience, I guess) and written down (-> cf. Aulus Cornelius Celsus: De medicina), however, that wounds should be thoroughly cleaned before being closed/sewn up, so in that respect a certain "cleanliness" was recommended. Also substances like wine or vinegar, which were used to that end have a mild antiseptic effect which certainly added to the healing of the wound.
Quote:There certainly was no sterilizing of chirurgical equipment at the time - if you don't know about something like sterility, then there's no point in sterilization or disinfection either.

I've always felt that spitting on the blade and then rubbing it on one's sleeve does the trick. A technique I tried to implement at work, though the microbiologists all semed to disprove. :evil:

Paul, an excellent set with some interesting pieces. I was particularly interested in the tendon retractor with the long curved blunt dissector at the other end. Where did you see the original - and do you have any pics/drawings?
Vale

Maximio

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm">http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm

Pete Noons in a past life
Quote:I've always felt that spitting on the blade and then rubbing it on one's sleeve does the trick. A technique I tried to implement at work, though the microbiologists all semed to disprove. :evil:

:-) )
I have heard they tend to be narrowminded people.

Quote:I was particularly interested in the tendon retractor with the long curved blunt dissector at the other end. Where did you see the original - and do you have any pics/drawings?

If you are looking for originals in general, try to get

Künzl, Ernst. Medizinische Instrumente aus Sepulkralfunden der römischen Kaiserzeit. Rheinland-Verl. Köln, 1983

for an excellent overview of many finds from Europe and Asia along with the necessary bibliographical data for further research.
Quote:Paul, an excellent set with some interesting pieces. I was particularly interested in the tendon retractor with the long curved blunt dissector at the other end. Where did you see the original - and do you have any pics/drawings?

Maximo,

I believe I found it in Surgical Instruments in Greek and Roman Times, John Milne.

I was in a hurry when making these for Roman Days. I made all of these in two evenings. To be honest I just printed out photos and drawings online, and went from there. I didnt document the originals as I should have.

a.k.a. Paul M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MEDICA brennivs - tony drake 37 8,988 05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake