Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A-Typical Type Weisenau helmet
I've gone over my limit for posting photos. The helmet I"d like to know more about is at This URL http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... senau.html

It's the 7th picture down.

Does anyone have any details on this helmet? I'm interested in making this helmet and wanted to know if anyone has seen it or had a chance to examine it in any way? Did it have edging? It doesn't look like it although the edge of the tail is thickened via hammer blows. It appears unadorned besides the enameled rivets.

It's a very interesting helmet. I have the bowl almost ready to emboss the eyebrows and would appreciate any input.

Dean Cunnnigham
Though this is not notes on the original...

http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_id=351
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
It's actually the helmet above the one you've posted a link to

Dean
Hi Dean,
Your upload quota has been raised. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Dean,

Sorry...try talking to Erik or Ira Konig in Germany. They have some good info on these types of helmets....

AURIFICINA TREVERICA
Ira & Erik König
Talstraße 1
D-54329 Konz

[email protected]

That is a fine helmet. I have one just like it sitting on my shelf. Although that particular helmet originally was tinned and had a bit deeper (or taller) bowel which seems indicative of the so called Celtic type. It also lacked edging. There is a really good picture of that in the Christies Axel Gutttman collection. The detail I can't quite pin down on that helmet is a small nub on the top of the helmet which I'm guessing is a mount for a crest or a portion of the original crest. It appears that this nub was raised(formed via the raising technique) from the original sheet the bowel was formed from. But not being able to see the real thing I can't be sure.

These A Typical types are not represented well in re enactment it seems. That's why I want to make a few of the one pictured in my post.

Dean
Dean,

PLEASE..when you get a helmet done put pics on the board. It would be grat to see your work!

I'll not only post pics I'll have one for sale at a reduced price.

Dean
OK I've visited the web site Replik online for this helmet and it is tinned but more impressive is that they raised this from one sheet. These guys are expert metalsmiths. Pricey for a reason. Wow! Great smiths! I hope to be doing a few raised helmets but I'd have to charge as much as they do.
I have looked at the pics of this helmet and realized the red enamel work apears to be modern. There are pictures of the helmet without the enamel, just hollow cups.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 794 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Weisenau Helmet with Cross Bar Lucius Duccius Rufinus 4 1,993 09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Peroni
  Where to get a gallic h/g type helmet? Virilis 5 2,257 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Virilis