Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Scabbard
Impressive sword, Jef. How long it did take to complete the entire cycle? Mark estimates are of 6 months, and in the case of Matt (for the scabbard) 4 months. Nice to know that Hans Binsfeld is somewhat slow with his e-mails, sometimes my internet server do not work well, and i feared this was the case...
Jyrki, about the Deepeeka hispaniensis...i haven´t seen it personally, but i have handled the Mainz version and i think that it is a bit overgrown...maybe the hispaniensis is better adjusted size wise. Do you know on what evidence they base the reproduction of the strange hilt and pommel of the hispaniensis? It is correctly reconstructed?

Salvete
Israel M. Sánchez

Mulae Marii- Legio VIIII Hispana
@Jyriki: mmm I have a picture of the blade only somewhere but can't find it :? shock: It's razorsharp and quite long... I believe Matt cut himself on it when unpacking it...

@Gaius: The duration depends on the ammount of work both craftsmen have. Sometimes Mark has something half finished lying around, this can mean that it's finished very fast. But I'd say about 6 months from sending specifications to holding it in your hand... But it's very variable.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Gaius: The Deepeeka hilt is based in the Osuna relief, the tombstone of Minicius Lorarius (Caesar's centurio) and others. http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/thu ... _small.jpg

Another posibility is to ask Jose Manuel Pastor. He makes nice swords custom made. Y además es producto nacional! Big Grin
Quote:Do you know on what evidence they base the reproduction of the strange hilt and pommel of the hispaniensis? It is correctly reconstructed?

Sorry, I can`t find the picture right now but I think it was memorial tombstone to the centurion Minutio of the IIIrd(?) Legio Martia; Paduva...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,730 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,079 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,076 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70