Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Place for Romans
Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

I'm not certain what to think about this.

I do admire their ambition and like Demetrius, I do not want to "slam" them on historical grounds as the emphasis is clearly fantasy, and yet...

Vortigern's points are well and fairly taken.

(Japan at the time of the Last Samurai -- no thanks.)

I do hope they have one incredible insurance package, given all that they want to do the chances for mishap or misadventure are extreme.

It would also seem to me that, given the history of Mother Nature, our sunny climate here in California might prove more hospitable year round than would the East Coast, but then again we do have earth quakes out here.

Disney did try this once before, at a Civil War Battlefield Park. Granted it was far more modest than this undertaking and focused on US history, but it failed to win much backing and the Mouse folded the project long before spade touched earth.

It will be interesting to watch this project progress, and I do wish them the best of luck, but I am not convinced of its viability and remain skeptical about it's agenda both stated and not.

:? ? ?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
This looks good, but what are Aliens and lazer guns doing in an anciently themed park .... :? ? !!
I also hope the Arthurian knights will not be fighting Saxons, dressed in medieval Armour...!
The reconstruction of Avalon will probably be Glastonbury Tor (less the tower) and surrounding area created as a lake...
If you love any of those films listed, as I do, this would make for a rather enjoyable visit..even if it is not totally authentic...
What I want to know...is Val Kilmer going to be there portraying Mad martigan from Willow... :roll: :wink:
This is the sort of Theme Park we get in England..Camelot
This is nice if you like jousting and the medieval thing...but not if you prefer the earlier concept of Arthur and his knights... Sad
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
C'est la tone qui fait la musique. I like visiting theme parks like Archeon, Xanten, Orientalis, the Saalburg, and the former Archéodrome. And I am not a purist; if it's not 101% authentic, I can still spend a nice afternoon.

But this time, I can not like it. What irritates me is, essentially, that solemn voice, that Orff music, and that slogan-like lingo ("the only thing that stands still is time"). I prefer to be addressed in a more quiet way; this is not the way to get me interested. Probably, I am a minority.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I'm glad New Jersey is only a few hours away. I might get a chance to push a real roman wheelbarrow around the marketplace sellling leather seggies, fire a roman trebuchet, or drive a sickle-wheeled war chariot pulled by a quadriga of unicons to the accompanyment of the legion's war drums..... Seriously, all sarcasm aside, if sucessful and properly done it would help to popularize it here in the States. It's not like Europe where there are historic sites that can be sullied by "farbisms". Even if it does reinforce misconceptions, myths and hollywood conventions, it will generate interest. Once you get them in the tent, you can explain why everything they "know" is wrong and how the real history is much more interesting. The scholars will join you, the zealots will go get beat on by the SCA, and the fools will at least keep the vendors in business.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"