Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum Construction - Edging and Painting
Bahaha... you guys are awesome :lol:

I'll maybe put in a tester piece to see what I am dealing with before going for it.

I was also told to stretch it on not too tightly as the constriction as it dries will take care of that. Does that sound right?
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
Seem to have missed this thread for some time now, for some reason....
Sulla must have blocked me lol

Nice work on the scute Sulla, nice pait job too. I have to agree with it looking like a bird in some of the depictions.. but also can see peronis view that it is probably the spina boss.....after all, just because things changed, does not mean things were not still oin use on the frontiers...and local craftsmen would reproduce what they saw, as stated with the Adamklissi.....who's to say!

Great work Sulla!

And Matt, I know of some very good artisans who use modern paint, so don't feel too bad, the look counts more so than total authenticity, as long as it is convincing to the eye..candy pearl metallic auto-paint might not be too good an option!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I was also told to stretch it on not too tightly as the constriction as it dries will take care of that. Does that sound right?

Yeah, just fit it where you want it, when it dries it will harden into the shape you want.

Byron, I totally agree!

Legion: TBD
You CAN stretch the rawhide too much over the face of the shield because as it dries it constricts and as it constricts it can flatten out the curve of the shield.

To eliminate that put it back in your shield forming device. Or place the shield on a saw horse and weigh the rawhide down with sand bags.

I prefer to affix backing material first, then reinforcing bars, then stretch the rawhide across the face of the shield.

I like stretching the hide to reduce and /or eliminate any wrinkles or bubbles
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:Sulla must have blocked me lol

Nope - but it's not a bad idea :lol:

Quote:Nice work on the scute Sulla, nice pait job too. I have to agree with it looking like a bird in some of the depictions.. but also can see peronis view that it is probably the spina boss.....after all, just because things changed, does not mean things were not still oin use on the frontiers...and local craftsmen would reproduce what they saw, as stated with the Adamklissi.....who's to say!

Thanks Magius! I have seen many photographs and drawings of the Mainz reliefs and all show something slightly different. Reminds me of Professor John Collis' comments about looking at the patterns of the postholes at Danebury hill fort - he reckoned he could see the shape of Mickey Mouse's head. Early Iron Age Walt Disney Theme Park?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
This summer I tried to make my very first scutum. Maybe it's not perfect, but it was very fun to do.

I glued tree layers of birch strips with hot leather glue, this gluing phase was pretty difficult for me. Each wood strip must be at right place, when glue is still warm other wise it's not going to be firm bondage. After this wood work was done, I covered the scutum with linen and put raw hide over the face of the shield.
I then painted my scutum with milk paints, and I must say that those paints are quite easy and fun to paint with, if you just remember to stir regularly the paint pot. When you paint with milk paints, you really just 'paint' it. When you paint with modern paints, you actually spread out liquid plastic over them. It's totally different feeling. I say yes for milk paints Smile
Second thing is that milk paint colors are really good/cool shades, they look very natural. Modern paints just don't look same at close range.
My final effort was to put bee wax on my scutum to protect paint job.
Here is picture of my very fist attempt to make a scutum.
(Jukka Nolvi)
Very cool!

Jukka laudes to you for your first shield and to you as well sulla!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum construction Cassius_chaerea 18 5,181 02-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Scutum & Painting Pattern Photo Site Please post Your Ph jkaler48 7 2,833 09-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Last Post: jkaler48
  Edging a Scutum with rawhide QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS 14 3,563 06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Servius Rustius Noricus