Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sword blade started/FINISHED
The hand guard I have copied is fromMalente-Krummsee Germany. I joined 2 lengths of bar first cutting the slot for the tang ,then welded,filed into a rough shape,then marked out the general shape.Which if you look at the top of the guard it is not the same profile all round.next was the slot for the blade which you need to do to make the hilt work as you will see later.I then ground and filed then polished before I cut in the decoration.I hope you can follow so far Big Grin
[Image: hilt001.jpg]
[Image: hilt003.jpg]
[Image: hilt002.jpg]
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Here are the restof the photos Big Grin
[Image: hilt004.jpg]
[Image: hilt005.jpg]
[Image: hilt006.jpg]
I have put together the hilt to give a rough idea of the finished piece.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Tommorow I will hopefully have the hilt assembled and the grip in place ,still needs a little work on the blade though. If you have any thoughts or :?: please ask Big Grin if I can help on a sword query just drop a line.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
The hilt is now on Big Grin ? D D
[Image: hilt007.jpg]
hopefully I will have the handle in place today, but it is very relaxing the sound of heavy rain on the Fabrica roof,time for more tea and back to the grind :lol:
Regard Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I am sorry had a slite hick up Cry :oops: one of the halfs of the handle cracked in too while clamping it together :evil: so I had to make a new one ,remove the glue :evil: and carve a new one .So at the moment the glue is going of Sad ( D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Keep up the good work, Tony! It seems that you have all the tools to make a sword but they are nothing without the skill, awesome Confusedhock: !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Well I am at the end of this journey Big Grin lol: I hope it is to your liking Big Grin D D D
[Image: hilt009.jpg]
[Image: hilt010.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Fantastic stuff Tony! Laudes from me for a great and informative thread.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Thanks Svlla I am glad you have enjoyed it Big Grin ? D D D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Brennivs,

I noticed you "blued" the hilt in the end, or do my eyes deceive me? Looking forward to the scabbard thread.

What type of steel would you recommend using for a mainz gladius using the same stock reduction method?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Svlla it all depends what you want to do with it :?: if it is not going to get much abuse then you cant go wrong with mild steel Big Grin D D D
[Image: ringpommel015.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
OK - Mild steel sounds fine then (and easier to source for me!). When you are doing the initial stock removal are you doing this by "eye" (no jigs) using an angel grinder horizontally?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I forgot to mention Svlla yes I did blue the hilt :oops: Right stock removal cut the shape of the blade out first,put a centre line in with a metal pen or whatever and have a wood bed like in the post to clamp to.Now then before you start to grind these are my donts,donot grind to near your centre line ,leave about 3mm down the centre.Around the blade edge leave about 1.5-2mm in the centre of the thickness of the blade.When I start to grind the blade is flat,I grind at about 45 degree angle or a bit more down to that 1-2mm centre line all the way round.Turn the blade over and do the same.
I then start to grind from the blade edge to the 3mm centre line to flattern the blade of. Because of the shape of the Mainz the angle along the blade changes slightly but as you grind this will flow along .Now the point is tricky you will have to grind over your centre line as the blade tapers down if you are not sure you could just file that part down.Just once you have done one side, file/grind back the centre line on from the other side.
The reason I leave big tolerences is mistakes which do happen :oops: so if it does at least your blade might not be ruined Big Grin you can then just gentle remove the eccess material with the grinder or lighter abrasive discs down to a finer tolerence then use a file to flattern of the blade.I hope you can follow this, it might be worth haveing a go on a scrap piece first to get the feel of it. Also use a 4 1/2 inch grinder for the job not a 9 ".
I hope you can follow this but have a go and good luck Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Thanks Brennivs - it will probably be a few weeks before I have a go at this. I will keep you posted.

The finished sword looks stunning by the way.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
can you explain to us in detail how you blue a sword/handgrip?

TYVM

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grinding a Sword Blade How To? brennivs - tony drake 74 27,604 01-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword and Scabbard FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 57 14,058 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake