Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring Pommel Sword and Scabbard FINISHED
I can now start on this one. But as yet to deside what fittings to use :? lol: So if anyone out there has some nice juicy Chapes,Slides to show for the time period please post Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
First of I use a piece of timber just thicker than the blade, and mark out around the edge (also make the mark out slightly longer so the blade point carnt dig into bottom of the scabbard and jam that way ) .Drill a hole on the waste of the inside,then cut out and leave at least 1 inch at the mouth to keep both sdes of the scabbard together when glueing.
[Image: scabbard002.jpg]
[Image: scabbard004.jpg]
[Image: scabbard005.jpg]
Then cut a piece of flat timber approx 1/8th thick to glue onto the cutout.Before you glue cheak the blade against the opening of the cutout and trim any tight spots .Use a suitible glue and clamp up Big Grin
Because of the period of the scabbard I have put an extra 3 inches on the bottom for a box chape or peltate chape so I have plenty material to play with Big Grin ? hmm
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
[Image: scabbard006.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Hi Brennius,

nice and helpful description, thanks!
Thanks Martin Big Grin this is just one way of making a scabbard.
Onto the next stage,after glue has set take apart from clamps.Next cut away waste from mouth of scabbard cut along lines with saw then use chisel to gentley remove the waste.Then I mark along edge about 1/4 inch,if your scabbard tapers so far down then keep that gap all the way down.Then cut down the sides.It is wortn trying the blade down the inside to make sure of no tight spots.Then I reduce the thickness of the scabbard by filling down the excess to close to the thickness of the blade.Cut another piece of sheet to cover in the side to complete the scabbard and glue and clamp.
[Image: scabbard007.jpg]
[Image: scabbard008.jpg]
Hope you can still follow Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
After glue has set take apart and trim excess of. Place in vice and start to round of edges Big Grin
[Image: scabbard011.jpg]
[Image: scabbard010.jpg]
once edges are done sand to a smooth finish.
[Image: scabbard013.jpg]
again it is worth trying the sword in just in case Big Grin it should still fit but better safe than sorry.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Now for the chape unfortunatly :evil: the camera batteries went flat so had to charge :oops: so I could not show the making of the chape Sad D I have only today to get a bit more done since I am away at Chesters this weekend,hope you like.
[Image: scabbard019.jpg]
[Image: scabbard021.jpg]
The origonal is from Dura and is fragrementry only a small piece of the face plate survives I hope it is not a a flat plate on the bottom of the scabbard and Ive made a complete chape :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Wow very nice chape! How exactly did you make this Brennius?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
wow, you are truly super talented Brennivs! These pieces look simply amazing.
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
Macvs I will, now camera is running as soon as I can Big Grin
Horton thanks Big Grin lol: :lol: I hope to have the scabbard finished soon but I will have to choose a slide next :?: another :? Hmmmm.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
The extra wood on the bottom comes into play, unlike the earlier gutterd type scabbards,the scabbard is made to fit the chape,this must be done before the leather work.You must remove the wood to take into account the thickness of the leather so the chape will be loose on the scabbard. Now for the leathering of the scabbard.I have choose a nice black to complement the brass work.Normaly I would stitch the leather on but I know these will be getting a lot of abuse and I dont want to be restitching as I have done in the past.So I will glue the leather on ,I start by putting glue on the top and on the bottom,I then start at the top attach the leather then stretch and attach the bottom.I mark a centre line down the back apply glue down its entire lentgh just over the line,then do the same to the leather ,you dont need to worry about having to put the glue down on this so long as it will glue on.Stretch leather and glue down that side.Once dry use a staight edge and cut down the centre line take of eccess leather.Apply glue to other side and leather, then stretch evenly along lentgh a bit at a time ,once done run a smooth tool down the seam of the scabbard leave to dry.
[Image: scabbard022.jpg]
[Image: scabbard023.jpg]
[Image: scabbard026.jpg]
Then use a sharp knife and gentle run it along the seam and remove eccess leather you end up with a near invisible join,Ihope you can still follow this so far.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Here is the finished piece , if the chape is a liitle tight going on use a hot spoon and flattern leather down.
[Image: scabbard027.jpg]
[Image: scabbard028.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Nice work Brennivs. Is the chape fixed at all or just wedged on?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Thanks Svlla ,no not yet I make all the components first then fit later.I have been busy with the slide. The origonal is from Strecke.
I cut the piece from one solid plate ,then drawed a ruf outline of the slide and filed away.
[Image: scabbard029.jpg]
[Image: scabbard030.jpg]
I then reduced the top and bottom for the decoration and drew the pattern on and filed to a ruf shape as in pic I still have a good few hours work to do ,so hopfully I will finish it tommorow.
[Image: scabbard032.jpg]
This is the slide so far Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Confusedhock: What a great work - laudes !!!!!!
Lucius Domitius Aurelianus
Patrik Pföstl

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.roemer.ch.vu">http://www.roemer.ch.vu

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php">http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php

[Image: o3.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,709 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,929 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,416 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert